Planned Forum Maintenance - 24th May 2018

We will be doing maintenance on 24th May 2018. The forums will be read-only until the maintenance is finished.

MERC Hit Points

G-ForceG-Force Los AngelesPosts: 24
My thoughts with troops HP

I don't really understand why we have troops with different HP. If a heavily weapons troop moves slower its for a reason why give him more HP ? So you have a grenade launcher and I have health packs you deserve more HP? That grenade launcher will do more damage than my health packs, it doesn't add up. I also read on the splash screen as a medic to hide behind things to revive your team mates??? Are you guys serious HIDE? If you guys want this game to grow throughout the years you need to get rid of this leveling up mercs thing. This isn't world of warcraft the amount of time you put into this game shouldn't enhance your skill.

My comparison of dirty bomb is with Return To Castle Wolfenstein... Best balanced game I have ever played. They had troops that can clear a room with one shot (soldier w/panzer) but yet not everyone would choose it, Because they made you slow and took forever to reload and he had the same HP as any other troop. A Solider with a sniper or Panzer was a highly skilled player that was good with his pistol which takes a lot of time to master. The few hours I have played this game I rarely see someone switch to a pistol.

I really want to see this game build up to what it can be. Topics like this will help it get to it.
Thanks

Comments

• G-ForceG-Force Los AngelesPosts: 24
    Now that I have a bit more game time I have some feedback to help balance the mercs and gameplay.. So instead of trying to balance out the MERCS or characters like most MMORPG games do, why not go the traditional FPS route and balance out the weapons. So every MERC has the same health, speed but depending on the weapon he is carrying like the grenade launcher or other heavy weapons will slowed down by the weapon and not the merc.

[FIX] Make every class have the same physical attributes i.e Health and Speed. Place the limitations on the weapons not the mercs. This would make the game easier to balance. Trying to balance out the merc to its weapon sounds like a lot of work and time.

Right now the game feels like its trying to be a team base game (by the different classes) but its not being played that way. I don't see people handing out ammo or health packs because most people would rather fight then help and be underpowered by the weapons.

[FIX] A way to fix this is to remove items from regenerating like grenades and health. This should encourage players to play more classes than nader and fragger.

MEDIC A Medic should be the most important role in a FPS game. No matter what map a medic is always needed. But when I give out health packs they don't just give 30% or whatever % they regenerate. Instead they have a fill up effect super annoying when under fire. Placing a few health packs behind your teammates to help keep them alive wont work because of this fill up effect..

[FIX] Take away the fill up effect and make it so you automatically get that % when you receive a health pack. The game is to fast of a pace to have this fill up effect.
  • And just like every other game that works like an mmo it will end up with no teamplay and everyone playing the same imbalanced class.

If you incentivise behaviour dont be shocked if people optimise their behaviour accordingly.
  • ReddeadcapReddeadcap Posts: 1,310
    edited February 2015
    Read health as "how much trauma your armor takes before an injury becomes fatal" now look at the mercenaries.

If the average health is 100, your character is wearing at least a trauma plate. More coverage, more health. This is why rhino has the most health and assaults in general the bulkiest and highest damage takers, for that same reason proxy has 90hp because she's wearing nothing but knee and elbow pads, along with the highest mobility since there's no bulky armor weighing her down, same could go for weapon weight. Do you WANT to see a man running at 50 mph in full eod gear?

I do agree on the health issue, as its one of the few things that slows the games pace, the same can be said for the ammo capacity issue, I understand the people at splash damage purposely left the amp capacity low for you to find ammo spots and ask for a Field Ops for an ammo bag, but I swear most people don't notice a call for ammo; let it be a message, voice chat, voice command or even a visible blinking bullet over a friends head. Its like they think all these ammo drops are for themselves.
  • Amerika_KCAmerika_KC Posts: 4,848Moderator
    I really like the idea of the ammo crates on the map though. In past games that had similar mechanics it was quite aggravating when nobody would throw out ammo even if you called for it. At least in this game there is built in VOIP and a lot of people do respond if you ask for ammo or a rez luckily. But it's nice to have a backup in the crates and know you can always run that way to pick up some ammo (even if it's slow and not optimal) to offset your frustration with a team that has nothing but 3 other Vassili players and a field ops who throws out ammo for themselves.

My views and comments are entirely my own. I am a volunteer mod and I help with forum tasks. My word carries the same weight as anybody else posting...no more, no less. Think of me more as a forum janitor who cleans when needed as opposed to a cop who wants to bust you :)
  • SzakalotSzakalot Posts: 3,251
    edited February 2015
    Can't say I agree with most of the feedback given by OP.

Mercs have different HPs to further establish the differences between them. Specifically medics have average HP to balance the fact that they can replenish it at will, without relying on teammates.

Big guys are slow & have big guns and lots of HP,

small guys (gals in this case) are fast & have big guns and not as much HP.

don't really know what you mean by this:
    If you guys want this game to grow throughout the years you need to get rid of this leveling up mercs thing. This isn't world of warcraft the amount of time you put into this game shouldn't enhance your skill.

The amount of time you put into a game should definitely improve your skill. Cause you have played more, so you know the game better :tongue:
    Apart from the first few levels that unlock augments, the primary skills in the game are aim,movement&map awareness. The augments themselves are mostly passive boosts, that won't really affect any 1on1 matchup, and will only serve to contribute to the long-term engagments (more ammo, sooner HP recharge, slightly better ability)

As far as people not playing it as a teamgame: give it some time, I've already seen much better teamplay on Sunday&Monday, than on Friday evening & Saturday. Moreover, when the game is released and matchmaking is in place you can expect even higher amounts of teamplay, since people will start caring about their W/L and rank.

Other complaints you have sound little bit like you just want a new W:ET. This isn't that game. This is a new game, that builds upon those ideas.
    First!

48px-First_Blood.png?version=ee44701eadae9f5eb7db0d17c0edc6c9
  • EoxEox FrancePosts: 3,206Moderator
    Different health values is mandatory for two reasons : playstyle and balance. It's logical if a character supposed to take hits by staying at the frontline has better hp than a sniper that waits at the other side of the map. Also, raising or decreasing health of some mercs may make them overpowered or subpar to another one.
  • Yeah man, you're outgunned in this one. Slayers having more HP is to make them better at slaying. Medics aren't supposed to be good at anything but healing. They should lose to a slayer 90% of the time, unless they're outmaneuvered.
  • The only thing I'd do differently is adding an engineer mercenary, which would have to add C4 on their own. Seems kind of silly that all of them can do C4 thing, regardless of class.
  • B_MontielB_Montiel Posts: 1,126
    The only thing I'd do differently is adding an engineer mercenary, which would have to add C4 on their own. Seems kind of silly that all of them can do C4 thing, regardless of class.

Only engineers have decent bomb setting times and effective repair tools. Honestly, I really don't know how people still think that it is support or medic job to repair or set objectives. Clear the space. Push the fight out of the objective. Let the engineer do the job and cover them. I never saw that but it is perfectly possible to have a full team without engineers in their selected loadouts. That's probably why they left tools to each merc.
  • B. Montiel wrote: »
    The only thing I'd do differently is adding an engineer mercenary, which would have to add C4 on their own. Seems kind of silly that all of them can do C4 thing, regardless of class.

Only engineers have decent bomb setting times and effective repair tools. Honestly, I really don't know how people still think that it is support or medic job to repair or set objectives. Clear the space. Push the fight out of the objective. Let the engineer do the job and cover them. I never saw that but it is perfectly possible to have a full team without engineers in their selected loadouts. That's probably why they left tools to each merc.

yeah. But then I saw people whine about teams where there is 5+ medics, etc. :p But, perhaps adding an engineering class is just my preference, so classes with less hp would need medics, and engineers and other classes would be required to win.
  • einstyleeinstyle Posts: 273
    I think the system's fine as it is, maybe it still needs some finer tuning but as a whole it's ok
    in my opinion, it's only balanced for everyone to be able to drop bombs, just as every class is able to help a downed player up - just not in the time a designated merc is able to do the job
    if you think about it, it would be possible to have a team without a single medic (sure, it probably will suck, but at least it's a possibility), just as it's possible to have no ammo guy (thanks to the ammo crates around the map) or without an engineer
    it just won't be as effective, but at least you're not a 100% dependent on the merc choices of your team