Give me the option to not be included in Backfilling.

2»

Comments

• From a player's perspective.

1) Execution:

Keeping it:
    Pros - People who like execution can still play it and have a good time.
    Cons - People who don't like it, might have to know it exists.

Removing it:
    Pros - ???
    Cons - A whole game mode which some people love to play is removed.

2) Silly Skins:

Adding them:
    Pros - Mercs look silly, and there might be some "lolz".
    Cons - Mercs look silly, and there might be some "wtf is this @$!#?".

Adding an option to show silly skins as default skins:
    Pros - People who don't like the silly don't have to see the silly.
    Cons - ???

3) Opt out of back filling option:

Pros - You don't have to back fill servers.
    Cons - Servers have less of a player pool to back fill servers.. which affects people's games.

I'm not selfish, I try and see both sides of the coin before I post something.. but you seem to not care at all that you would be causing a problem when it comes to back filling. Not only would you not be a part of it, but you would cause the people who are open to back filling to have to do it even more often because you don't want to do it at all.

• watsyurdealwatsyurdeal Posts: 4,752
    edited August 2017

@SnakekillerX said:
    Removing it:
    Pros - ???

Alright, leaving out the pros is genuinely dishonest. So I am going to add them for you

1. Makes balancing the game harder because you have to worry about how certain mercs affect one game mode vs another. You can not argue that Stopwatch and Execution are the same, they are not.

2. We need servers to run the mode, which costs SD money, which means less resources and time to develop other content for the game.

3. You have to somehow encourage the majority of your community to play a game mode that they genuinely dislike, so you can test and balance certain mechanics and maps. Which after a year or so of trying ultimately failed.

I get BloodySin can be difficult to argue with, but do not be dishonest and misrepresent the facts of what happened with Execution.

So hey, I have a small guide here you may like, go ahead, read it, you know you want to.

ダーティーボムは非常に良いですが、あなたは非常に悪いです
  • BloodySinBloodySin Posts: 238

@SnakekillerX

From other players' perspective.

1) Execution

Keeping it:
    Pros: none
    Cons: none/waste of resource

Removing it:
    Pros: resources used elsewhere
    Cons: none

2) Fanservice Skins

Adding them:
    Pros: more options to people who want them, it's not going to affect my aim
    Cons: none, it's not going to affect my aim

Adding an option to show ANY skin as default, including current ones:
    Pros: why don't we have this already?
    Cons: none

3) Opt out of backfilling:

Pros: people can have fun in fresh games instead of being forced into games they don't want to join and will just leave or stay unwillingly
    Cons: people with losing games won't get more people to lose with them as starter players quit instead of sticking around to lose

I'm not selfish, I try and see both sides of the coin before I post something.. but you seem to not care at all that you would be causing a problem when it comes to back filling. Not only would you not be a part of it, but you would cause the people who are open to back filling to have to do it even more often because you don't want to do it at all.

If you're not selfish, you're just close-minded around what you want for options only. But it's hard to not see "I don't want people to have an option because then they won't be forced to do something they don't like which is beneficial for me if they have to do" as not selfish - as much as you considered it selfish that people wanted Execution gone when they didn't even play it.

• @watsyurdeal said:

@SnakekillerX said:
    Removing it:
    Pros - ???

Alright, leaving out the pros is genuinely dishonest. So I am going to add them for you

1. Makes balancing the game harder because you have to worry about how certain mercs affect one game mode vs another. You can not argue that Stopwatch and Execution are the same, they are not.

2. We need servers to run the mode, which costs SD money, which means less resources and time to develop other content for the game.

3. You have to somehow encourage the majority of your community to play a game mode that they genuinely dislike, so you can test and balance certain mechanics and maps. Which after a year or so of trying ultimately failed.

I get BloodySin can be difficult to argue with, but do not be dishonest and misrepresent the facts of what happened with Execution.

That isn't a Player's perspective that is a Developer's perspective. We the players have expressed that we would rather have Execution in the way it is, with no further development or support, than having it removed.

So there is no pros from a player's standpoint to removing a game mode. It doesn't help anyone with anything.

• BloodySinBloodySin Posts: 238

The players are directly affected by all those things... any cent, any minute of coding, any brainstorming thrown at balancing things for Execution, were all resources that could be being used for things everyone else in the player base would enjoy and use more than a game mode they didn't care about.

edited August 2017

@SnakekillerX said:
    So there is no pros from a player's standpoint to removing a game mode. It doesn't help anyone with anything.

You don't speak for all players though, and many of us do think from a developer's standpoint because we care about Dirty Bomb. We care about making the best it can be, even if that means compromising on things.

And again, you're talking about a minority of people who actually played execution, and not much more people who thought it should stay.

There is no facts to support the notion that the game mode was worth keeping, I don't know the exact figures behind the time and money, but I imagine it's a good section of both, otherwise they would not have removed it.

But, this isn't about execution, it's started from people being selfish. Who want other people to come in and fill in empty spots that people leave, but wouldn't do it themselves. And to that I say it's a crap discussion all around. It's gonna happen whether we have a server browser or match making. The only real solution is a small bonus for joining a game halfway done, and that bonus ranging depending on how much you help, other than that, it's just the way it is.

So hey, I have a small guide here you may like, go ahead, read it, you know you want to.

• The developers don't have to spend money to do NOTHING with a game mode. Period.
    There are many empty servers even still with Execution mode being gone, all people asked for was to keep some Execution servers active. Not to put more work into them, but to just leave it as is.

What we asked for was to do nothing, but that wasn't good enough so they removed it.
    What we are really arguing in this thread however is an option that has a direct negative impact on a new game feature CMM and I guess that's ok. I expressed liking Execution, my bad.

@SnakekillerX said:
    The developers don't have to spend money to do NOTHING with a game mode. Period.
    There are many empty servers even still with Execution mode being gone, all people asked for was to keep some Execution servers active. Not to put more work into them, but to just leave it as is.

Adding maps, adding new mercs, adding or changing ANYTHING about the game will inherently affect the mode. The fact you do not understand that is nobody's fault but your own. Javelin is a perfect example.

And regardless of whether there are empty servers, they are objectively more likely to be empty if they were execution vs stopwatch.

What we are really arguing in this thread however is an option that has a direct negative impact on a new game feature CMM and I guess that's ok.

Ok so back on track then, but the discussion still is relatively the same, there is no reason to encourage or punish people for leaving in a casual setting. Ranked is one thing, but Casual is another, the whole point of casual is in the name.

If you people want a matchmaking system with all these different rules to ensure every match is this oh my god glorious game experience every single time, PLAY RANKED.

• @watsyurdeal said:
    If you people want a matchmaking system with all these different rules to ensure every match is this oh my god glorious game experience every single time, PLAY RANKED.

And what exactly does this have to do with back filling?

@SnakekillerX said:

@watsyurdeal said:

Because people are wanting all of these things added in for Casual matchmaking, that go against the very nature of casual play. That is just my feeling on it.

The most I could see added is a small bonus for helping people finish a game half done, beyond that, no. We are not going to punish people for leaving.

• SnakekillerXSnakekillerX Posts: 847
    edited August 2017

@watsyurdeal said:

@SnakekillerX said:

@watsyurdeal said:

Because people are wanting all of these things added in for Casual matchmaking, that go against the very nature of casual play. That is just my feeling on it.

The most I could see added is a small bonus for helping people finish a game half done, beyond that, no. We are not going to punish people for leaving.

So you are saying it shouldn't back fill? If someone leaves then everyone may as well leave cause well.. gg. Why even have match making then?

And I never suggested we punish people for leaving, I said it would be bad to add an option to opt out of back filling. Incentivizing people for being back filled is good though.

@SnakekillerX said:
    So you are saying it shouldn't back fill? If someone leaves then everyone may as well leave cause well.. gg. Why even have match making then?

And I never suggested we punish people for leaving, I said it would be bad to add an option to opt out of back filling. Incentivizing people for being back filled is good though.

I'm saying people shouldn't be making this is a bigger issue than it is, cause it's stupid.