Javelin: Assault, or fire support?

ThunderZsoltThunderZsolt Posts: 409
edited July 2017 in Mercenary Discussion

Pretty much everyone knows what a javelin missile is, but I wonder, how it will play in Dirty Bomb?

• Will it be one huge rocket with a 30-40 second cooldown?
    Since the javelin's purpose in real life is using it against armored targets, it would make sense if it took 70-80% HP of the EV in one shot - or even 100% like Skybro, depending on the CD.
    If it will have a "lock on" requirement like the designator of Arty and Kira, you have a proper fire support ability that also works indoor. (no, the molotov doesn't count, it still sucks)
    With Turtle on the table, sometimes you really need to clear his shields somehow, and it can be difficult if it is under a roof.

• Or Javelin can have more than one rocket, with ~20s CD on each and used like a frag nade to clear rooms? In this case I think it would be too good against players, even if you keep the "lock on" requirement, like Fragger has to cook the nades.

TBH I would prefer the 1st variation, but that could be because I'm obsessed with fire supports (Arty and Kira mainly)

Comments

• EoxEox FrancePosts: 3,194Moderator

I expect the rocket to have either a single charge on low cooldown, or two charges with a cooldown similar to the artillery strike. I don't expect Javlin to have that much use against the EV though. She would mostly be there to spread havoc in the enemy team's rank.

In my opinion, the rocket would need a priming time similar to how the Artillery Strike works. A laser would be shown from the rocket launcher during the priming as a way to counterplay (you see the laser ? Get the @$!# out or shoot Javelin to reset the priming). When primed, the rocket would be launched at a very high speed and explode on contact with the environement in a high damage blast. I expect the splash radius to be roughly equal to a frag grenade's splash radius. Maybe enemy players will be able to shoot the rocket down while it's traveling as a way to counter long ranged rockets as well.

I heard she would be a fire support. If she is one, I hope she will get the ammo packs. Those are much more versatile.

No clue about what weapons she will get. Maybe Timik/M4A1/Dreiss as primaries since we have no Fire Supports with that kind of weapon combination.

• BlackboltLWBlackboltLW Posts: 600

I prefer fire support with the first paragraph as her ability

• TheStrangerousTheStrangerous Posts: 2,173

I feel like Javelin will be alternative Nader. Instead of using trigonometry and arc, projectiles will fly forward. Same speed and damage, different way of shooting.

Dirty Bomb = Lawbreakers 2.0 Electric Boogaloo

• ThunderZsoltThunderZsolt Posts: 409

@TheStrangerous said:
    I feel like Javelin will be alternative Nader. Instead of using trigonometry and arc, projectiles will fly forward. Same speed and damage, different way of shooting.

Another important aspect:
    Will the rockets explode on impact? Nader is balanced because the eggs only explode on direct hits (and even on direct hits the grenades have a short fuse time) and landing those require at least some effort/luck.

A projectile flying in a straight line is much easier to aim.

• TheStrangerousTheStrangerous Posts: 2,173
    edited July 2017

@ThunderZsolt said:

@TheStrangerous said:

Another important aspect:
    Will the rockets explode on impact? Nader is balanced because the eggs only explode on direct hits (and even on direct hits the grenades have a short fuse time) and landing those require at least some effort/luck.

A projectile flying in a straight line is much easier to aim.

Or they could fly slower, making so that you have to predict movement, like in Quake 3 or TF2?

Sure, they have to explode on impact, splash damage radius is up for playtesting to decide.

Dirty Bomb = Lawbreakers 2.0 Electric Boogaloo

• JJMAJRJJMAJR Posts: 1,115
    edited July 2017

What, she's a fire support?
    Make Javelin solar powered. As long as she's in open air her CD is 50% less.
    And give her full ammo magazines!

/derp

Seriously though, I want her to be an assault. With Blishlock/KEK-10/Dreiss. That would be pretty sweet.

Unfortunately we have Turtle with SMGs so I have doubts on that idea.

• GatoCommodoreGatoCommodore Posts: 4,318
    edited July 2017

once upon a time i made a discussion about it
    http://forums.dirtybomb.com/discussion/comment/207872#Comment_207872

also, the model ingame is not a Javelin launcher, its an LAW launcher (dumb fire) with a grip styled like Carl Gustav Recoiless Rifle

i would like it to be something like this

Hope County Choir - Keep Your Rifle By Your Side

@GatoCommodore I knew about that thread, but it was old, and I thought it was mostly about rocket launcher types and other aesthetic related stuff rather than gameplay.

Now that I re-read it, it has some really interesting thoughts. Thanks for bringing it up!

• SaulWolfdenSaulWolfden Posts: 796

I hope she gets a Timik regardless.

• LifeupOmegaLifeupOmega Posts: 2,056

Fire Assault

Reminder that it's always okay to vote kick a sniper, no matter how well they're doing.

@SaulWolfden said:
    I hope she gets a Timik regardless.

I also hope that we will have a second light merc with an automatic primary weapon (I'm not counting the Blishlok, because it doesn't really works like other full auto weapons)

I don't want to play that annoying mine spammer @$!# only because she has access to the Hochfir SMG.