Dirty Bomb in game toxicity survey.

EoxEox FrancePosts: 3,117Moderator

Hello there !

I took the liberty to make an in game survey with the goal of knowing a bit more about the current status of toxicity in DB. I'm not talking about the forums, reddit, or even the discord server. It exclusively concerns in game behaviour.

The survey just has three questions and should take you very little time. You can access it through this link : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeOnb6OE0WONEGFw3-ifc36fr8-qaoIE6w4QopTc_48M2DXXg/viewform?usp=sf_link

I of coure plan to share that survey with the staff in the future if I am allowed to. :)

Thank you by advance ! :)

Comments

  • K1X455K1X455 Posts: 1,718

    I was given the impression that the toxicity levels are high inversely proportional to the level and cooperation of players in ranked matches. Usually, toxicity are generally directed to the least performing players (lower 3 scoring) and those who are obviously throwing matches.

    I have never encountered a cheater who is on my side of the team. It's always on the other side where the opposition never was toxic to the cheater (the "carry phenomenon").

    Perhaps if SD had made better tutorials and raised the minimum level to play in a higher stake matches, it's possible that the instructions on how to provide team support will be lessened.

  • DeathiDeathi Posts: 451

    The real question is, what do you count towards "toxicity"?

    • Kicking people who really have no clue what to do?
      Auras not reviving, Skyhammers not giving ammo... Ignoring the tutorial or trolling on purpose... I'd say deserved.

    • The obligatory "gg ez" from some carried guy in the obviously stacked winning-team?
      I'd say yes, but just to make a point, still most of them propably just don't know any better.

    • Wishing your family cancer and death sometime soon?
      Whereas slow death would be more logical... That kinda speaks for itself.

    (Can't say anything about ranked. Just played enough to get the trinket, then said goodbye to the beloved stockholm-servers, and, reading the stuff here, was lucky not meeting people tking and/or hindering your team on purpose.)

    That's the real problem, where to start, where to end. Having played other games this stuff kinda became "normal", still probably affecting me in the way I usually see/react to those random people.
    But I guess it reached a bad point, when more popular devs/games start to implant automatic stuff and heavily research the reports they get.

    @K1X455 I, for myself, barely spec my own team's players. Either you look around while not beeing gibbed, or you already have respawned until you got the right one, at least most of the time. And as you not getting killed by them in funny ways,... ( at least not in non-ranked)

  • AlbinMattAlbinMatt Posts: 1,107

    @nokiII said:
    The internet (and the DB community as a subsection of it) didn't get any more toxic over time, people just choose to be offended more often.

    This offends me as a half Asian heter..

    Oh who am I kidding, that joke got old the moment it was born.

  • EoxEox FrancePosts: 3,117Moderator

    @Deathi said:
    The real question is, what do you count towards "toxicity"?

    • Kicking people who really have no clue what to do?
      Auras not reviving, Skyhammers not giving ammo... Ignoring the tutorial or trolling on purpose... I'd say deserved.

    • The obligatory "gg ez" from some carried guy in the obviously stacked winning-team?
      I'd say yes, but just to make a point, still most of them propably just don't know any better.

    • Wishing your family cancer and death sometime soon?
      Whereas slow death would be more logical... That kinda speaks for itself.

    (Can't say anything about ranked. Just played enough to get the trinket, then said goodbye to the beloved stockholm-servers, and, reading the stuff here, was lucky not meeting people tking and/or hindering your team on purpose.)

    That's the real problem, where to start, where to end. Having played other games this stuff kinda became "normal", still probably affecting me in the way I usually see/react to those random people.
    But I guess it reached a bad point, when more popular devs/games start to implant automatic stuff and heavily research the reports they get.

    @K1X455 I, for myself, barely spec my own team's players. Either you look around while not beeing gibbed, or you already have respawned until you got the right one, at least most of the time. And as you not getting killed by them in funny ways,... ( at least not in non-ranked)

    It's your own definition that matters the most when you fill up this survey. The goal of this survey is somewhat to see how the community percieves itself. I just thought that seeing how the community overall consider itself would be something interesting.

  • -OCB-Wildcard-OCB-Wildcard Posts: 177
    edited January 30

    @Eox said:

    @Deathi said:
    The real question is, what do you count towards "toxicity"?

    • Kicking people who really have no clue what to do?
      Auras not reviving, Skyhammers not giving ammo... Ignoring the tutorial or trolling on purpose... I'd say deserved.

    • The obligatory "gg ez" from some carried guy in the obviously stacked winning-team?
      I'd say yes, but just to make a point, still most of them propably just don't know any better.

    • Wishing your family cancer and death sometime soon?
      Whereas slow death would be more logical... That kinda speaks for itself.

    (Can't say anything about ranked. Just played enough to get the trinket, then said goodbye to the beloved stockholm-servers, and, reading the stuff here, was lucky not meeting people tking and/or hindering your team on purpose.)

    That's the real problem, where to start, where to end. Having played other games this stuff kinda became "normal", still probably affecting me in the way I usually see/react to those random people.
    But I guess it reached a bad point, when more popular devs/games start to implant automatic stuff and heavily research the reports they get.

    @K1X455 I, for myself, barely spec my own team's players. Either you look around while not beeing gibbed, or you already have respawned until you got the right one, at least most of the time. And as you not getting killed by them in funny ways,... ( at least not in non-ranked)

    It's your own definition that matters the most when you fill up this survey. The goal of this survey is somewhat to see how the community percieves itself. I just thought that seeing how the community overall consider itself would be something interesting.

    And there is nothing wrong with that. In honesty I doubt anyone is faulting you there @Eox , most of us likely prefer someone be doing something in an attempt to understand than nothing at all. Though to be honest I have to agree with a previous post that there is indeed a loss of patience that is further strained over time by having to correct the same mistakes made by new players ad infinitum. This in turn goes back to what I mentioned on the server balance post that the game needs to properly teach several core concepts that are currently left to the player to figure out alone.

    Too many new players clearly have shown their inability to put two-and-two together on their own in relation to these matters. We have three straight years of this to back up such a statement. In the end this game needs a massive overhaul on its tutorial and implementation of an offline mode or other system to supplement it; while at the same time vets need to be able to not feel so frustrated with newcomers that they can be willing to help them further improve. This will not fix itself overnight, even if the overhaul occurs, but it can't occur unless something is done.

  • STARRYSOCKSTARRYSOCK Posts: 1,439

    Haven't read the other comments so sorry if this has been said, but from my experience toxicity varies massively between ranked and casual, so it's hard to give a general assessment. From my experience, almost all ranked matches I've played end in a lot of salt one way or another. But casual is mostly friendly, with the occasional half joking snark.

  • WintergreenWintergreen Posts: 585

    I voted 1/10. It's senseless to complain about bad encounters in the game. You have the freedom to mute, report, leave, or kick if ever necessary. There's no toxicity as a result of this game or community; the world and people themselves are toxic. You'll run into bad people everywhere and the anonymity of the Internet acts as a catalyst for moronic behavior. Just thicken your skin if you are easily bothered. Anyway, I don't think this game is toxic at all when compared to titles like DOTA, LoL, CoD, CS, and so on.

  • MeerkatsMeerkats Posts: 125
    edited February 1

    @-OCB-Wildcard said:
    Too many new players clearly have shown their inability to put two-and-two together on their own in relation to these matters. We have three straight years of this to back up such a statement. In the end this game needs a massive overhaul on its tutorial and implementation of an offline mode or other system to supplement it; while at the same time vets need to be able to not feel so frustrated with newcomers that they can be willing to help them further improve. This will not fix itself overnight, even if the overhaul occurs, but it can't occur unless something is done.

    @Eox, a lot of developers have picked up on the fact simply having a few tutorials is inadequate. Honestly, not something you need Sherlock to figure out for you. So now, a lot of devs provide ingame resources like glossaries to help players figure out mechanics. But see, who the @$!# has time to read? Nobody, that's who, so those glossaries are now full of short videos visually illustrating the mechanics. Overwatch goes the next step and provides ingame tooltips with recommendations.

    Additionally, lack of global chat probably doesn't help either. I'm fairly certain it's well established most players never visit any outside resource, especially new players just trying out a game. Therefore, those resources need to be made available in game. If a player has a question during a match, that question, understandably, might get ignored. They might ask again while in a pregame lobby, but given how lobbies tend to vacate, that question might still go unanswered. CMM and ranked are even worse as there isn't a lobby at all. If a player could just pop a question in chat without having to join a match or exit the game, well, that makes life easier doesn't it.

    Ingame resources. Not difficult.

    In a game I used to play, there was a Helper system. New players had access to a special, newbie global chat channel, invisible to all non-new players, where they could request assistance, from gameplay questions to corpse retrievals. This provided new players a place to ask their questions free of embarrassment while not congesting normal channels. Who were helpers? Helpers were volunteers. Nobody was ever required to be a helper and helpers weren't rewarded for their efforts either; all they received was a special [HELPER] title, yet there were always helpers on in a game that typically only had 450 concurrent players, less than Dirty Bomb. Sure, the help provided was voluntary, so if a helper had a more pressing matter, they were free to ignore requests, but all senior helpers were very proud of their status and would happily waste like a minute and a thousand gold max buffing some newbie.

    In fact, since that game, I've always found it strange no other game I've ever played has had a similar system. I'm a huge proponent of it as that human touch easily surpasses a pile of text describing how to press "e,", and myself became a helper after hitting lvl.100 ( max level in that game was somewhere around 14,000 iirc ). If you give people the opportunity to contribute, you might be surprised by the results.

    Anyway, might be something to consider. Perhaps a newbie server where new players could join and play with volunteer helpers ( min. lvl.60 or so ) who would teach them the ropes. Earlier, when I said helpers weren't rewarded? Not entirely true. Dedicated helpers were very proud of their [HELPER] titles, so the Dirty Bomb equivalent might be a different coloured name and maybe a special accessory / trinket / skin.

    Post edited by Meerkats on
  • If you police the game too much for "toxicity" you get a Overwatch like casual community and if you want to get rid off toxic player just let us report them. Players that I want to report I want to report are trolls and annoying people that spam chat. Not people that put a joke in a chat when they are waiting for a respawn.

  • TesraliiTesralii Posts: 4

    Great game, but today I got booted from a match and ended up uninstalling to make space for another game. I got triggered, pretty simply, but you should hear me out. I'm a high level player and I was doing poorly in a match, so maybe they thought it was "within their rights to boot me." I wasn't using chat. No one said anything to me. Just 5 votes and then poof I didn't get to participate in the end of a 30min match.

    I will not be playing this game again for a while at least, even though I just picked it up again. I love the old style ET play. It is absolutely toxic to let people in a match "witch-hunt" or "spite-boot" people. I've seen a lot of it over my 1500 hours playing. (Steam account is Tesrali, if you wanted to see.) Most of my time playing was back in the "golden days" of 2015 and spots where I reinstalled to BS last year and this year.

    Good luck, but you ain't getting my dollars if I can get vote booted by a witch hunt. @$!# that! haha
    Cheers guys. Hope you resolve this, it's been WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long with this broken feature.

  • EoxEox FrancePosts: 3,117Moderator
    edited February 8

    @Tesralii said:
    Great game, but today I got booted from a match and ended up uninstalling to make space for another game. I got triggered, pretty simply, but you should hear me out. I'm a high level player and I was doing poorly in a match, so maybe they thought it was "within their rights to boot me." I wasn't using chat. No one said anything to me. Just 5 votes and then poof I didn't get to participate in the end of a 30min match.

    I will not be playing this game again for a while at least, even though I just picked it up again. I love the old style ET play. It is absolutely toxic to let people in a match "witch-hunt" or "spite-boot" people. I've seen a lot of it over my 1500 hours playing. (Steam account is Tesrali, if you wanted to see.) Most of my time playing was back in the "golden days" of 2015 and spots where I reinstalled to BS last year and this year.

    Good luck, but you ain't getting my dollars if I can get vote booted by a witch hunt. @$!# that! haha
    Cheers guys. Hope you resolve this, it's been WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long with this broken feature.

    Sorry you had to deal with something like that. Those kind of issues aren't that common in DB thankfully. You probably just got unlucky and ended up playing with a toxic group. You should probably give it another go, if you wish to ofc.

    Not playing alone also helps a ton. Maybe you should attempt to meet some players outside of the game so you can make some friends to mess with. The DB forums are a good place for that, but you can also try the official Discord which is very active.

    If you want a link to join the official DB Discord, try this one : https://discord.gg/zfPkWGP

  • Darkwolf3802Darkwolf3802 Posts: 38
    edited February 8

    @Eox said:

    @Tesralii said:
    Great game, but today I got booted from a match and ended up uninstalling to make space for another game. I got triggered, pretty simply, but you should hear me out. I'm a high level player and I was doing poorly in a match, so maybe they thought it was "within their rights to boot me." I wasn't using chat. No one said anything to me. Just 5 votes and then poof I didn't get to participate in the end of a 30min match.

    I will not be playing this game again for a while at least, even though I just picked it up again. I love the old style ET play. It is absolutely toxic to let people in a match "witch-hunt" or "spite-boot" people. I've seen a lot of it over my 1500 hours playing. (Steam account is Tesrali, if you wanted to see.) Most of my time playing was back in the "golden days" of 2015 and spots where I reinstalled to BS last year and this year.

    Good luck, but you ain't getting my dollars if I can get vote booted by a witch hunt. @$!# that! haha
    Cheers guys. Hope you resolve this, it's been WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long with this broken feature.

    Sorry you had to deal with something like that. Those kind of issues aren't that common in DB thankfully. You probably just got unlucky and ended up playing with a toxic group. You should probably give it another go, if you wish to ofc.

    Not playing alone also helps a ton. Maybe you should attempt to meet some players outside of the game so you can make some friends to mess with. The DB forums are a good place for that, but you can also try the official Discord which is very active.

    If you want a link to join the official DB Discord, try this one : https://discord.gg/zfPkWGP

    I just played a ranked match today (ikr) and I had 2 trolls on my team. All they did was tk the team and the other team completed the mission within 3min time. I shouldnt be penalized in my rank for them basically throwing the game. We couldnt forfeit cause they said no to that and end result we got spawn killed by them and the enemy for 3min. This is going to drive players away from the game.

  • EoxEox FrancePosts: 3,117Moderator

    @Darkwolf3802 said:

    @Eox said:

    @Tesralii said:
    Great game, but today I got booted from a match and ended up uninstalling to make space for another game. I got triggered, pretty simply, but you should hear me out. I'm a high level player and I was doing poorly in a match, so maybe they thought it was "within their rights to boot me." I wasn't using chat. No one said anything to me. Just 5 votes and then poof I didn't get to participate in the end of a 30min match.

    I will not be playing this game again for a while at least, even though I just picked it up again. I love the old style ET play. It is absolutely toxic to let people in a match "witch-hunt" or "spite-boot" people. I've seen a lot of it over my 1500 hours playing. (Steam account is Tesrali, if you wanted to see.) Most of my time playing was back in the "golden days" of 2015 and spots where I reinstalled to BS last year and this year.

    Good luck, but you ain't getting my dollars if I can get vote booted by a witch hunt. @$!# that! haha
    Cheers guys. Hope you resolve this, it's been WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long with this broken feature.

    Sorry you had to deal with something like that. Those kind of issues aren't that common in DB thankfully. You probably just got unlucky and ended up playing with a toxic group. You should probably give it another go, if you wish to ofc.

    Not playing alone also helps a ton. Maybe you should attempt to meet some players outside of the game so you can make some friends to mess with. The DB forums are a good place for that, but you can also try the official Discord which is very active.

    If you want a link to join the official DB Discord, try this one : https://discord.gg/zfPkWGP

    I just played a ranked match today (ikr) and I had 2 trolls on my team. All they did was tk the team and the other team completed the mission within 3min time. I shouldnt be penalized in my rank for them basically throwing the game. We couldnt forfeit cause they said no to that and end result we got spawn killed by them and the enemy for 3min. This is going to drive players away from the game.

    Please report those players to the support. You can access the support by following this link : https://support.dirtybomb.com/hc/en-us

  • @Eox said:

    @Darkwolf3802 said:

    @Eox said:

    @Tesralii said:
    Great game, but today I got booted from a match and ended up uninstalling to make space for another game. I got triggered, pretty simply, but you should hear me out. I'm a high level player and I was doing poorly in a match, so maybe they thought it was "within their rights to boot me." I wasn't using chat. No one said anything to me. Just 5 votes and then poof I didn't get to participate in the end of a 30min match.

    I will not be playing this game again for a while at least, even though I just picked it up again. I love the old style ET play. It is absolutely toxic to let people in a match "witch-hunt" or "spite-boot" people. I've seen a lot of it over my 1500 hours playing. (Steam account is Tesrali, if you wanted to see.) Most of my time playing was back in the "golden days" of 2015 and spots where I reinstalled to BS last year and this year.

    Good luck, but you ain't getting my dollars if I can get vote booted by a witch hunt. @$!# that! haha
    Cheers guys. Hope you resolve this, it's been WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long with this broken feature.

    Sorry you had to deal with something like that. Those kind of issues aren't that common in DB thankfully. You probably just got unlucky and ended up playing with a toxic group. You should probably give it another go, if you wish to ofc.

    Not playing alone also helps a ton. Maybe you should attempt to meet some players outside of the game so you can make some friends to mess with. The DB forums are a good place for that, but you can also try the official Discord which is very active.

    If you want a link to join the official DB Discord, try this one : https://discord.gg/zfPkWGP

    I just played a ranked match today (ikr) and I had 2 trolls on my team. All they did was tk the team and the other team completed the mission within 3min time. I shouldnt be penalized in my rank for them basically throwing the game. We couldnt forfeit cause they said no to that and end result we got spawn killed by them and the enemy for 3min. This is going to drive players away from the game.

    Please report those players to the support. You can access the support by following this link : https://support.dirtybomb.com/hc/en-us

    Tbh I dont remember their names and thats not going to restore my ranked rank. I lost rank cause of them.

  • K1X455K1X455 Posts: 1,718

    @Eox said:

    Please report those players to the support. You can access the support by following this link : https://support.dirtybomb.com/hc/en-us

    I've been reporting TKers and match throwers, and I still see them playing.

    What does this mean?

    NOTHING IS BEING DONE or I MY REPORTS ARE BEING COMPLETELY IGNORED.

    Prove it otherwise. And don't make claims that it's being taken seriously.

  • EoxEox FrancePosts: 3,117Moderator

    @K1X455 said:

    @Eox said:

    Please report those players to the support. You can access the support by following this link : https://support.dirtybomb.com/hc/en-us

    I've been reporting TKers and match throwers, and I still see them playing.

    What does this mean?

    NOTHING IS BEING DONE or I MY REPORTS ARE BEING COMPLETELY IGNORED.

    Prove it otherwise. And don't make claims that it's being taken seriously.

    I can't make any claims. All I am sure about is that the process may take some time. I am as helpless as you. Reporting is all I can do. It's also very hard to get rid of throwers and cheaters when they just have to create a new steam account to be a nuisance again.

    However I did got confirmation that an ingame report system overhaul is being worked on. So at the very least there's that.

  • n-xn-x Posts: 752

    @Eox what is your stand on reporting engineers who dont repair, non-healing medics and supports who dont drop ammo? I dont mean someone with 3 hours on his account but 100 hours. I think those things are the main reasons for toxicity on the servers.

  • EoxEox FrancePosts: 3,117Moderator
    edited February 9

    @n-x said:
    @Eox what is your stand on reporting engineers who dont repair, non-healing medics and supports who dont drop ammo? I dont mean someone with 3 hours on his account but 100 hours. I think those things are the main reasons for toxicity on the servers.

    Tricky case IMO. Let's take an engie that doesn't repair : when I play DB, I would have trouble to know if an engie just doesn't do his job because he doesn't want to, because he's clueless, or because he's busy fighting the frontline due to miscommunication. Some people does throw games on purpose, but some players sometimes are sometimes very confused, or just that bad.

    What scares me is that some players would use that as an excuse to ban players who just have trouble with the game or just did poorly. Some players would be very quick to report a single medic just because they judge like they did not got healed for a small moment. I mean, I clearly don't want ranked to turn into a game of Overwatch, when you actually pass more time fighting your own team's toxicity than the enemy team's characters.

    An engie, medic or fire support who does not do his job in ranked and does it on purpose should, obviously, be reported for throwing games. But we have to make sure that it's not just a player that struggles more than usual.

  • Darkwolf3802Darkwolf3802 Posts: 38
    edited February 9

    @Eox said:

    @K1X455 said:

    @Eox said:

    Please report those players to the support. You can access the support by following this link : https://support.dirtybomb.com/hc/en-us

    I've been reporting TKers and match throwers, and I still see them playing.

    What does this mean?

    NOTHING IS BEING DONE or I MY REPORTS ARE BEING COMPLETELY IGNORED.

    Prove it otherwise. And don't make claims that it's being taken seriously.

    I can't make any claims. All I am sure about is that the process may take some time. I am as helpless as you. Reporting is all I can do. It's also very hard to get rid of throwers and cheaters when they just have to create a new steam account to be a nuisance again.

    However I did got confirmation that an ingame report system overhaul is being worked on. So at the very least there's that.

    That still doesnt give me my ranked rank back that i lost for this season from these leechers. The main issue is that this is causing ppl rank in the current setup that the game has. If it was playerbased and not so heavily based off of win\loss this wouldnt be so much an issue cause it would affect them the most and us the least.

  • @Eox Sorry you had to deal with something like that. Those kind of issues aren't that common in DB thankfully. You probably just got unlucky and ended up playing with a toxic group. You should probably give it another go, if you wish to ofc. Not playing alone also helps a ton. Maybe you should attempt to meet some players outside of the game so you can make some friends to mess with. The DB forums are a good place for that, but you can also try the official Discord which is very active. If you want a link to join the official DB Discord, try this one : https://discord.gg/zfPkWGP

    I get where you're coming from but I'm not really a social guy. Am happily playing Pillars of Eternity for the first time, atm. I need to also disagree that "witch-hunt" booting is not common. I see it about once every 2 hours or so. It's usually someone raging at a new player. How your boot-vote system is set-up does not penalize people for abusing it. This has been a problem with the game for a while. But that's just one dude's opinion. GL

  • -OCB-Wildcard-OCB-Wildcard Posts: 177
    edited February 11

    @Tesralii said:

    > @Eox > Sorry you had to deal with something like that. Those kind of issues aren't that common in DB thankfully. You probably just got unlucky and ended up playing with a toxic group. You should probably give it another go, if you wish to ofc. > > Not playing alone also helps a ton. Maybe you should attempt to meet some players outside of the game so you can make some friends to mess with. The DB forums are a good place for that, but you can also try the official Discord which is very active. > > If you want a link to join the official DB Discord, try this one : https://discord.gg/zfPkWGP >

    I get where you're coming from but I'm not really a social guy. Am happily playing Pillars of Eternity for the first time, atm. I need to also disagree that "witch-hunt" booting is not common. I see it about once every 2 hours or so. It's usually someone raging at a new player. How your boot-vote system is set-up does not penalize people for abusing it. This has been a problem with the game for a while. But that's just one dude's opinion. GL

    To be fair abuse of a system like this will always exist in games, at some point or another of its lifespan, but it is more common in games that incite a more competitive feel. As for every 2 hours I'd have to disagree with that statement of frequency. I've only seen newbies kicked when they've been given fair warning and told what they need to do to help the team; only to choose to ignore it completely and be dead-weight. This is less something that stems from system abuse though and more that new players are not really getting the proper introductory experience to the games mechanics and the emphasis on team play. So, to be fair, you can't expect the veteran players to not have grown tired of it being the norm that they are forced to deal with.

    These veteran players, of which I am one, are human beings as well and can only display so much patience before they grow disgruntled with the situation. I myself chose to stay outside of weighing in on any such votes because I agree with the pleas of both sides; so I choose to retain a neutral stance. That's not to say I agree with kicking the players, but that I understand why it occurs as an action born of frustration; I myself try to steer new players I encounter in the right direction when they are doing such things. There is, however, a point where we have to take responsibility for refusing to improve ourselves in a team-based system; when the player themselves refuses to do anything but weigh down the entire team they are already admitting themselves to being vote-kicked for a legitimate cause.

    This could be a problem born of poor marketing in the past, that failed to emphasize the necessity of team-oriented play in this game; but it also is a fault that falls upon the introductory experience for newcomers being so clearly lacking. In the end though we have to acknowledge what we signed up for when we play this kind of game; it is a team-based objective shooter and if you can't accept what comes with that territory this game may not be the right fit for you. There is no shame or wrong in that fact, this game isn't going to appeal to everyone, but if someone is that resistant to learning how the game has to be approached there is really nothing more you can expect but to be made a pariah; it's the natural result you should expect from such actions, and one you need to be prepared to deal with if you choose such a path.

  • I have seen one of your OCB players abuse a new player and then vote-kick them. It was actually the night this happened to me. If that's what you mean by "fair warning" then you are part of the problem.

    So, to be fair, you can't expect the veteran players to not have grown tired of it being the norm that they are forced to deal with.

    I totally understand being frustrated but at NO POINT is booting a new player the solution. You seem to think that's what the boot function is for, which makes my point. The boot function is for: 1. cheaters, 2. overly toxic people.

    Honestly I haven't seen a cheater in a while and it would be a better solution to allow chat muting of abusive players (or the ability to turn chat off).

  • -OCB-Wildcard-OCB-Wildcard Posts: 177
    edited February 12

    @Tesralii said:
    I have seen one of your OCB players abuse a new player and then vote-kick them. It was actually the night this happened to me. If that's what you mean by "fair warning" then you are part of the problem.
    I totally understand being frustrated but at NO POINT is booting a new player the solution. You seem to think that's what the boot function is for, which makes my point. The boot function is for: 1. cheaters, 2. overly toxic people.
    Honestly I haven't seen a cheater in a while and it would be a better solution to allow chat muting of abusive players (or the ability to turn chat off).

    Now you're putting words in my mouth. This is a team focused game and if you aren't going to contribute, no matter how many times you're asked, you are a problem yourself by definition; muting a player isn't going to make them any less of a dead-weight for the team.

    Also, maybe you should actually read the full post. If you had you'd have taken note that I mentioned how I also keep out of weighing in on the vote; because I don't exactly condone it either but I know why it happens; so how about we don't go accusing me of something I don't partake in.

    PS. I don't appreciate you pulling the mention of clan members in your argument when there is a no name and shame policy here. All you're accomplishing is doing it on a clan-based scale when you do that. We will deal with our own members when such things occur but it's not your place to be policing them, now is it?

    Besides, we've had issues with people deciding to put on the tags who aren't actually in the clan before and it's something we are still dealing with; so I'd appreciate if you kept such comments out of public posts. Honestly, if you had sent a private message with the name in question I'd have had no problem with it but I do not appreciate this public shaming.

    Post edited by -OCB-Wildcard on
  • EoxEox FrancePosts: 3,117Moderator

    Closing this thread as I got enough information for that survey. It was time to end it. :)

This discussion has been closed.