The Forgotten Mercs

2»

Comments

• Da_MummyDa_Mummy Posts: 194

@c4Te
    That might just be his weapon selection, because those are everything but beginner friendly. And you can't kill people with his ability so a lot of people call him boring just because not everybody can be a fragger in this game.

• c4Tec4Te Posts: 15Developer

@Da_Mummy said:
    @c4Te
    That might just be his weapon selection, because those are everything but beginner friendly. And you can't kill people with his ability so a lot of people call him boring just because not everybody can be a fragger in this game.

I think it is a combination of everything. The abilities, the weapons and the general playstyle. Like with Phantom we do not want him to lose his identity but rather improve his weak areas.

• zykerothzykeroth Posts: 26

I'm pretty sure the smoke isn't as useless as you make it to be; it actually allows you to effectively take over an area by merely cutting LoS off- the way I play it is to chuck it in places where it's a lot more inconvenient for the enemy than my team, and if they dare go through they're mostly dead. Examples for this are like Trainyard's 1st OBJ on Atk Generator side. Throw it in the direction of the Def spawn-> profit. Line of sight cut off, relative safety to plant if not alone.

@zykeroth
    It just doesn't kill people what makes him boring for the average FPS idiot with an IQ of a slice of toast. But for anybody who does happen to use his human gifted brain it's a practical teamcover and a one way mirror in the offense.
    However a lot of players are frustrated by this ability because it takes away the most important factor of Combat: vision
    In a game where you mostly rely on red and blue outlines and a dot on the screen that's really important. But I just don't see the issue where people go raging about how brokenly overpowered a little cloud of dust is.
    You can spot him, disperse offer his smoke, push him, block his sightline with a shield or just avoid open sniper territory like with every other long ranged assassin. I just don't get it why people still cry about home beeing too strong, but then again there are people playing this game and complain about Pay 2 Win sooo... I shouldn't be suprised.

• GatoCommodoreGatoCommodore Posts: 4,062

@Da_Mummy said:
    @zykeroth
    It just doesn't kill people what makes him boring for the average FPS idiot with an IQ of a slice of toast. But for anybody who does happen to use his human gifted brain it's a practical teamcover and a one way mirror in the offense.
    However a lot of players are frustrated by this ability because it takes away the most important factor of Combat: vision
    In a game where you mostly rely on red and blue outlines and a dot on the screen that's really important. But I just don't see the issue where people go raging about how brokenly overpowered a little cloud of dust is.
    You can spot him, disperse offer his smoke, push him, block his sightline with a shield or just avoid open sniper territory like with every other long ranged assassin. I just don't get it why people still cry about home beeing too strong, but then again there are people playing this game and complain about Pay 2 Win sooo... I shouldn't be suprised.

red eye ability is, in my opinion, the ability that has many utilities

what people dont know about the smoke is how it can be dispersed with explosive like stoker molotov.

its an easy to counter ability if you dont get shot by red eye first or if you have something like arty (red eye cant see the arty marker while using IR), Nader, Fletcher, Fragger

Electric Light Orchestra - Prologue/Twilight

edited January 16

@GatoCommodore
    Ahm... how about the fact that the smoke extinguishes the fire like it should logically.
    But I agree on the rest

• GatoCommodoreGatoCommodore Posts: 4,062
    edited January 16

@Da_Mummy said:
    @GatoCommodore
    Ahm... how about the fact that the smoke extinguishes the fire like it should logically.
    But I agree on the rest

its a smoke "Bomb", not canister ones like the police used

its something like the modern tanks use.

the fact that Bombs carry HE means it can disperse flame

typically high explosives, such as dynamite, are used to create a shockwave that pushes the burning fuel and local atmospheric oxygen away from source of fire. (This is a similar principle to blowing out a candle.)

its pretty realistic

but if you throw the molotov after he already thrown the smoke, well, he would still gets fried

Electric Light Orchestra - Prologue/Twilight

• woodchipwoodchip Posts: 149
    edited January 16

@c4Te said:

@spectre_nc said:
    Redeye is strong. Misunderstood maybe, but strong.

I love that. He really is misunderstood because Redeye is quite strong. The problem with him is that he is simply not fun to play for a lot of people and what is worse frustrating to play against.

That`s why we are looking into it and try to figure out how we solve this issue without sacrificing his identity. I will definitely share more information once we have a better idea of what he should be.

Maybe remove his smoke grenade entirely and buff his 'redeye' to have a mild version of the Widowmaker Ult effect (like maybe he sees 5 feet behind walls, so he could see you behind corners but not provide global map vision).

Widowmakers ult sort of effects would preserve him as a powerful anti-sniper, would be extremely thematic, and seems less obnoxious than his smoke.

I can't see a way to make his current concept work. Getting sniped behind any sort of invulnerability/safety effect is just too unfun. And both his smoke and his redeye are unfun to use except as a part of the combo (the red eye by itself isn't really worth turning on).

@spectre_nc said:

I can't see a way to make his current concept work. Getting sniped behind any sort of invulnerability/safety effect is just too unfun.

Again what makes Redeye invulnerable behind his smoke. It's not like he's turns invisible or has a shield, you just can't see him directly.
    And removing his smoke would just make him even more similar to vasilli just with the worse arsenal for long range combat (still he isn't a sniper).

• ARandomLugiaARandomLugia Posts: 35
    edited January 17

@c4Te said:

@spectre_nc said:
    Redeye is strong. Misunderstood maybe, but strong.

I love that. He really is misunderstood because Redeye is quite strong. The problem with him is that he is simply not fun to play for a lot of people and what is worse frustrating to play against.

That`s why we are looking into it and try to figure out how we solve this issue without sacrificing his identity. I will definitely share more information once we have a better idea of what he should be.

Keep in in mind, a bad/mediocre redeye can really be working against you and your team. Throwing down smokes in the middle of group fights and proceeding not to spot anyone or run away entirely/spam mindlessly into the smoke. Fights, no matter how to end up ending, feel like lady luck was on your side cause some person thought removing your sight was a good idea..... Just my two sense

TL:DR, a bad/oblivious redeye can do a lot more bad than an oblivious aimee or vasilli, since they atleast let you know where the enemy is.