Anyone else notice Thunder isn't being played?

I just realized when I got a mission for him, that I haven't seen anyone play thunder at all since around when Vault came out.
Is this just me, am I going crazy, or has anyone else noticed this?

I remember how much he used to be played, and now I barely see mention of him anywhere.

Comments

• WintergreenWintergreen Posts: 332

I saw him a lot in execution, but that could just be because Radionaut and Freshy Q exist. He's never been used that much in ranked or obj/sw at all in my experience. Seems just as unloved as ever.

• STARRYSOCKSTARRYSOCK Posts: 1,017

@Wintergreen said:
    I saw him a lot in execution, but that could just be because Radionaut and Freshy Q exist. He's never been used that much in ranked or obj/sw at all in my experience. Seems just as unloved as ever.

Hmm, never played exe that much when it was still up, but he was definitely a lot more popular before. I remember just a while ago when we was about as popular as fragger and pissing everyone off in ranked, lol

• K1X455K1X455 Posts: 1,356

The storm just cleared... but I saw Thunder's flash blind 2 enemies in close proximity to Guardian's Skyshield despite it being up. Turns out that the flash bang exploded outside the Skyshield's reach.

• They main Javelin now. Cause yes, people main Javelin.

• jooshoyesjooshoyes Posts: 308
    edited October 13

Yeah I don't see a lot of Thunder anymore too. I mean he is still broken, but I think Javelin takes the cake in pubs.

I still prefer playing thunder than playing javelin, as I find Javelin more unfair than Thunder in a 1v1 scenario, despite the increased cooldown. The fact that you still have to go out and kill your enemies with your gun (and I only use mk46, I feel bad using the stark on Thunder and I am indifferent toward the timik) is much more rewarding than an insta delete.

• GuziolGuziol Posts: 259

He is not very good. Also his main gun is trash.

• Lord_CoctusLord_Coctus Posts: 1,909

I actually started to use Thunder more often because of how much hes been missing. There is also the fact that without Thunder, theres nobody to beg Guardian to marry them.

My aim is as great as a beautiful Proxy.

Neither of the two exist.
  • bgyoshibgyoshi Posts: 731
    edited October 13

It's almost like Thunder is weak garbage and the only things good about him are 170 160 HP and STARK. But hey, at the cost of just 10HP, you can get an ability that's just free kills all by itself whether you're playing 5v5 or 8v8, and switch from a STARK to a BR-16.

It's almost like I've been saying for months that nerfing Thunder concs further will just make people stop playing him and holy gasp lo' and behold he got nerfed and now he doesn't get played.

And the world remained completely unsurprised and carried on.

• GatoCommodoreGatoCommodore Posts: 3,354

I still bring thunder on my underground matches.

@K1X455 said:
    The storm just cleared... but I saw Thunder's flash blind 2 enemies in close proximity to Guardian's Skyshield despite it being up. Turns out that the flash bang exploded outside the Skyshield's reach.

flashbang can get inside the skyshield and explode

A Hat In Time: Picture Perfect!                                                                  

People complain about thunder because he is annoying and can't deal with a grenade that stuns you instead of outright killing you.

• ArtyrimArtyrim Posts: 24
    edited October 13

I don't mind playing him but he misses some "Boom! Boom!" compared to others . A group of 2-3 enemis? A Boom Boom merc like Javelin/Fragger/@$!# with sticky bombs is better than a guy that flash his self most of time.
    Even if you flash all your enemies you take half of time to destroy that damn healing station,kill an enemy and then get @$!# by other enemies. A Boom Boom merc could do more in 1 sec

@TheStrangerous said:
    Thunder Scrubs evolved into Javelin scrubs, nuff said.

+1
    Instead of one random Thunder/team now we got 2 random Javelin/team . Even though javelin got some nerf is still n.1 after vassili for newbies

@Guziol said:
    He is not very good. Also his main gun is trash.

Is this some kind of joke?

Edit:.....ni66er is censured? -__-

• K1X455K1X455 Posts: 1,356

@GatoCommodore said:
    I still bring thunder on my underground matches.

@K1X455 said:

flashbang can get inside the skyshield and explode

Haven't seen that before

Not to mention that with friendly fire on it's way harder to flash enemies while not blinding teammates at the sametime compared to just tossing a frag grenade in.

• B_MontielB_Montiel Posts: 982

With the recent nerfs he received you have more chances to blind yourself up alone than blinding two enemies at once. Conc is actually pretty retarded to use now and it's incredibly hard to forecast the results even on a well placed grenade.

And Javelin, like everybody said.

• XenithosXenithos Posts: 1,022

Um... I've seen ~5 Thunders in the last 4 days... not as many as other mercs, sure, but I HAVE seen people still playing him. Two of them were consistently spawn blinding to give us time to do the objective... So...

The road is over, I finally got a sig. Hallelujah.

• jooshoyesjooshoyes Posts: 308
    edited October 13

The biggest problem with Thunder wasn't the stark, or his hp, since in higher lvl play you could just ban his use of the stark. The problem is the short fuse on the conc, which makes it entirely unavoidable and lack counterplay in small fights (i.e. 1/2v1/2). In larger fights it is much more tolerable, as the reductions in duration have meant that you have less time to kill enemies, meaning that using the conc against more than one or two people will likely get you killed. All it needs is a slightly longer fuse (like 0.2-0.4 seconds) to make it much easier to avoid in a 1v1, and encourage more skillful usage in closer vicinities, where the enemy should have plenty of time to avoid the effects.

@nokiII said:
    Thunder isn't played because he isn't fun and before his well deserved nerfs people just played him because he was broken af.

Also, no other merc can kill multiple enemies with such pleasure by using the mk46. While the gun may not be good, mowing down enemies while they are concussed is the most fun thing in this game for me, even when he was useless about a year and a half ago.

This wasn't supposed to be a "thunder succs pls nurf/beff" thread, I was just wondering if anyone else noticed how he disappeared off the face of the earth, lol.

I personally enjoy playing him though, I'm better with him than I am with javelin too, mostly because I like his weapons better, but eh.

• I use Thunder on assault UnderGroundand to troll the enemy team by dropping flash bangs into the medbay from the ledge on the right side over and over.

• XernyXerny Posts: 15

Thunder has become an endangered species due to all of the Javelins stalking on them.

• woodchipwoodchip Posts: 81

Yeah, he's not played much. And the game is better for it.

Thunder with Timik is hilariously awful.

• GatoCommodoreGatoCommodore Posts: 3,354

@woodchip said:
    Yeah, he's not played much. And the game is better for it.

Thunder with Timik is hilariously awful.

what
    thunder timik is one of the most fearsome CQC merc in the game

A Hat In Time: Picture Perfect!                                                                  
  • LoafOfBreadLoafOfBread Posts: 424

@nokiII said:
    Thunder isn't played because he isn't fun and before his well deserved nerfs people just played him because he was broken af.

...and look where we are now....

• SorotiaSorotia Posts: 1,262

I see him now and then...face a team about half a week ago with it was 2 or 3 thunder spamming their i-Win grenades.

• WintergreenWintergreen Posts: 332

You know, this thread has made me want to try him out again. He's one of my least played mercs and even though he got nerfed into the ground, he can still be a pretty viable merc. None of his loadouts really stand out that much to me, though. T45, S41, that drilled + tough + spares MK one I can't remember the name of. All pretty underwhelming. Hoping he gets some more work by the time G3 (not the gun, although that would be cool too) loadouts are here.

@Wintergreen said:
    You know, this thread has made me want to try him out again. He's one of my least played mercs and even though he got nerfed into the ground, he can still be a pretty viable merc. None of his loadouts really stand out that much to me, though. T45, S41, that drilled + tough + spares MK one I can't remember the name of. All pretty underwhelming. Hoping he gets some more work by the time G3 (not the gun, although that would be cool too) loadouts are here.

S41 is my fav. The timik feels weird to me on him though, so I mostly just go for the LMG otherwise. I wish he had better melee weapons though. The kukri is buggy as @$!# and almost completely unuseable, and the stilnotto is, well, the stilnotto.

G3 might be pretty good if they decide to give him new weapons though. I'd like to see him with the Shar-C, fragger's LMG, or anything else fairly large that actually fits with his design.