How long should we wait for next merc in 2018

TheStrangerousTheStrangerous Posts: 1,763
edited October 12 in General Chat

Assuming on 28th of November SD releases last merc this year (6-7 weeks new merc), and probably gen 3 coming out afterwards with some proper meta balancing.

What's the healthy amount of time in releasing new merc next in 2018?

Fletcher gettin' Sledgehammer melee supporter.
More arcadey, less grounded gameplay supporter.

Comments

• TheStrangerousTheStrangerous Posts: 1,763
    edited October 12

@Lord_Coctus said:
    Tbh I wouldn't mind if they stopped after the next merc.

And leave 2 merc groups with only 4 mercs?
    Yeah, maybe they'll stop, after 25 merc slots are complete.

I say, last 2 mercs (which I assume will be Recon and Engineer, assuming next one will be assault) should have an epic duel finale. Both of them released at the same time, countering each other.

• GatoCommodoreGatoCommodore Posts: 3,625

@TheStrangerous said:

@Lord_Coctus said:

I say, last 2 mercs (which I assume will be Recon and Engineer, assuming next one will be assault) should have an epic duel finale. Both of them released at the same time, countering each other.

i mean both guardian and javelin is hybrid

Bayonetta OST-Mysterious Destiny

Bayonetta, you're a mystery
    You come along with a destiny
    This is your life, a battlefield telling you who you are
    Bayonetta, this is your time
    You're gonna sparkle, you're gonna shine
    Girl, when you fight it looks like a dance, you are magic, you're magic

Come on, come on, come on, there's only one way, your way
    Come on, come on, come on, you know there's only one way, your way
    Dance, fight, spin around, spin around
    Dance, fight, fly higher, fly higher, fly higher

Bayonetta, you bury your loneliness deep down in your eyes
    Sadness lies in your smile
    But victory shines in your eyes
    You're still alive

@GatoCommodore said:

@TheStrangerous said:

@Lord_Coctus said:

i mean both guardian and javelin is hybrid

Phantom = Recon+Assault
    Javelin = Fire Support + Assault
    Guardian = Medic + Engineer

We still lack other combos, like Recon+Engineer and Assault+Engineer, I bet the last recon will be some pure recon, no hybrids.

• WintergreenWintergreen Posts: 527

They can stop after they make me a tanky, heavy medic. Assault/medic hybrid.

• SorotiaSorotia Posts: 1,368

@TheStrangerous said:
    Assuming on 28th of November SD releases last merc this year (6-7 weeks new merc), and probably gen 3 coming out afterwards with some proper meta balancing.

What's the healthy amount of time in releasing new merc next in 2018?

I don't know...maybe Feb or March? I would like to see some new maps...honestly I'd rather see a few new maps as opposed to them revamping old maps first.

• STARRYSOCKSTARRYSOCK Posts: 1,230
    edited October 12

Honestly I wish they'd stop now, or at least after another engi.

We already have a lot of engineers, and they're getting a bit redundant. As for recons, unless it's an oddball like phantom, they would be redundant as hell and completely unwanted. But assaults especially, I really don't want to see more of.
    I mean, think about it. We just got a medic that's part assault. We just got a firesupport that's part assault (really all firesupports are pretty much assault mercs too, but javelin especially).
    Depending on how you look at it, we already have over 5 assault mercs, whether or not they're officially labeled under assault. Adding more assault mercs to a game that isn't supposed to be team deathmatch just seems.. eh..

• MeerkatsMeerkats Posts: 91
    edited October 14

@STARRYSOCK said:
    Honestly I wish they'd stop now, or at least after another engi.

No modern game is complete without Winston. Gotta represent the marginalized, participation trophy, monkey community, i.e., the Winston Generation.

Take that banana. Take it. Gonna skill all over yo' face.

( Dirty Bomb does not require any additional mercs ).

Post edited by Meerkats on
  • As a medic main, all I would like to see is a heavy medic, with an ability like mercy' s from Overwatch (Doesn't even have to have the ability, I just want a heavy medic, I'm taking thunder heavy) and a long range engineer for use on chapel, then they can stop.

• AlbinMattAlbinMatt Posts: 1,026

"I am heavy medics guy, and this, is my medic"

Inb4 we get an electro pulsating Rhino.

• Lord_CoctusLord_Coctus Posts: 2,032

@FishRolls said:

Places Pheonix on the table

Roses are red and violets are blue.
    I bang you all!
    Now you're dead too.
  • AlbinMattAlbinMatt Posts: 1,026

@Lord_Coctus said:

@FishRolls said:

Places Pheonix on the table

Imagine having Sparks' REVIVR on a fully automatic configuration, and have Phoenix heal nades, plus Guardian's rev glove, all on one merc. That merc would provide better healthcare than my entire country's system.

• STARRYSOCKSTARRYSOCK Posts: 1,230

I hope we get more small fast mercs honestly. They're by far the most fun ones to play, but all we have currently are:

• Bunch of shotguns and a bad SMG
    • Bunch of shotguns and mines
    • Nerf guns for primaries
    • Burst rifle weebs
    • Snipers, eww

Guardian was a decent speed, but I'd rather have more small aura style mercs. We have so many tanky assault mercs, but the game is supposed to be objective based, not deathmatch

• MarsRoverMarsRover Posts: 2,043

SD, just give me an offensive engineer with ARs, and then take your time fixing the game.

Recognize my avatar? Click here for some great news! - Mars is the only known planet inhabited solely by robots.
    K72sOh1.jpg

I miss jet trooper from OG Battlefront...

My favorite class in the game...

Hope to see him get recycled in DB, he could glide by holding jump button or thrust forward in air or both.

• BazBlingBazBling Posts: 364
    edited October 15

@TheStrangerous said:

Hope to see him get recycled in DB, he could glide by holding jump button or thrust forward in air or both.

Yes... that or similar to the Engineer from Planetside 2 with a Jet Pack would be an interesting addition to DB.

• Dieu-SamaDieu-Sama Posts: 194

Maps are not vertical enouth for a jetpacked merc

@TheStrangerous said:

I don't think I ever played the JP Trooper much...was mostly infantry or rocket trooper...maybe why I like Javelin lol...little bit of both.

I honestly can't remember anything about him...

edited October 16

@Dieu-Sama said:

Yeah, that's why I can only imagine him doing the air dash, which Androxus from Paladins does (dunno the Overwatch equivalent, sorry) and the air gliding, which is what also Androxus does.

@TheStrangerous said:

@Dieu-Sama said:

Yeah, that's why I can only imagine him doing the air dash, which Androxus from Paladins does (dunno the Overwatch equivalent, sorry) and the air gliding, which is what also Androxus does.

Granted I haven't played OW in a while...but the only one I can think of that is close is Pharah and she is kinda like Drogoz.

Only floater I can think of is Mercy, but hard to compare since she is a healer and I'm assuming a jetpacker would be assault?

• stayfreshshoestayfreshshoe Posts: 534Administrator, Moderator, Developer

I like the idea of a Merc with a jet pack ability. Would be an interesting mechanic. We don't have a set number of Mercs that we plan to release, but definitely don't want to add Mercs just for the hell of it. If there is a gap in gameplay which we can fill with different and interesting mechanics, we will do so.

I wanna see a little engineer robot which you can deploy to do objectives :3 That or a Merc with throwable armed C4 (but people tell me that's crazy) or throwable C4 which all Mercs can arm faster than normal.

• EoxEox FrancePosts: 2,996Moderator

@stayfreshshoe said:
    I like the idea of a Merc with a jet pack ability. Would be an interesting mechanic. We don't have a set number of Mercs that we plan to release, but definitely don't want to add Mercs just for the hell of it. If there is a gap in gameplay which we can fill with different and interesting mechanics, we will do so.

I wanna see a little engineer robot which you can deploy to do objectives :3 That or a Merc with throwable armed C4 (but people tell me that's crazy) or throwable C4 which all Mercs can arm faster than normal.

Wouldn't a jetpack merc break maps though ? Remember that old Fragger grenade jump exploit ? :/

• asdfqwopasdfqwop Posts: 6
    edited October 18

@Eox said:

@stayfreshshoe said:

Wouldn't a jetpack merc break maps though ? Remember that old Fragger grenade jump exploit ? :/

Maybe if the jetpack gets a low vertical thrust and only makes the merc glide a short distance, then it won't be a problem?

edited October 18

@stayfreshshoe said:

The word of god says, it likes the idea!

Jet Trooper confirmed!

Nah, just kidding!
    Think I can only imagine a 100% rotation controllable thruster sliders at best.
    Not like in UT4, where you slide one way and look the other way.

UPDATE:

SPEAK OF THE DEVIL!
    TF2 Pyro is getting a functional jetpack, in the upcoming Jungle Inferno update!
    Well SD, you gotta step it up. Since every class based game needs a jetpack now...

Post edited by TheStrangerous on

@Eox said:

Very true. Guess the map guys would have a lot of work to do huehue. However it does depend on the functionality of the jet pack. Maybe it could just boost you forward or also upwards at a slight angle to prevent map issues.

• EoxEox FrancePosts: 2,996Moderator

@stayfreshshoe said:

@Eox said:

Very true. Guess the map guys would have a lot of work to do huehue. However it does depend on the functionality of the jet pack. Maybe it could just boost you forward or also upwards at a slight angle to prevent map issues.

Alternatively what about a merc that can teleport in short to middle range but can't teleport vertically ? :p

edited October 19

A 'blink' ability? Would be interesting. May be tricky to trace people though huehue

• Dys[fn]alDys[fn]al Posts: 66

As long as the dev team can come up with new and interesting mercs with minimal overlap with one another, I don't care how many they release.

I'd personally love to see a standard type recon merc with smgs not snipers.

Also. There are some really cool merc ideas in the Merc Suggestion page, even a couple of my own that I think would be a blast to play and would shake up the game. For those of you interested, my two favorites of mine are Vex and Turner. I would plug other people's but I can't recall any names :/

• @stayfreshshoe said:

How about a merc with mobile spawn grenades? I was a fan of killzone 2 on PS3. They had various classes like medic engineer and tactician. But you were able to pick a base class and modify your second ability with another class by mixing badges =)

I used to spawn as a tactician with medic badge for packs. I made my own mobile spawn points and i healed myself with medpacks using an M82 assault rifle =) was fun. A PC game in disguise, esp with a server browser. I actually wish Guerilla would port that game over to PC.

So i say a merc with spawn grenades, and a pair of binoculars for spotting a target, allowing your team to see that target move through walls.