New Merc: Guardian

Comments

• Lord_CoctusLord_Coctus Posts: 2,031

@GatoCommodore said:
    Real question tho

does Guardian Defib deals damage?
    if yes then it would be spammed even worse than fletcher stickies

but its cool that it somehow makes you feels like the iron man

Guessing it would work like Pheonix or Auras healing abilities and not effect enemies.

Roses are red and violets are blue.
    I bang you all!
    Now you're dead too.
  • XenithosXenithos Posts: 1,206

Aoe Finish. Oh dang, if this is real...
    New waifu alert INTENSIFIES.

I don't care how much you've played or how good your aim is - If you haven't touched the game at least twice in three months then I see your "opinion" as hot moot.

• GatoCommodoreGatoCommodore Posts: 3,622

YO

OH DUDE
    GUARDIAN GETS TIMIK AND M4
    but the Hurtsall is kinda....weird on damage side of things...

Bayonetta OST-Mysterious Destiny

Bayonetta, you're a mystery
    You come along with a destiny
    This is your life, a battlefield telling you who you are
    Bayonetta, this is your time
    You're gonna sparkle, you're gonna shine
    Girl, when you fight it looks like a dance, you are magic, you're magic

Come on, come on, come on, there's only one way, your way
    Come on, come on, come on, you know there's only one way, your way
    Dance, fight, spin around, spin around
    Dance, fight, fly higher, fly higher, fly higher

Bayonetta, you bury your loneliness deep down in your eyes
    Sadness lies in your smile
    But victory shines in your eyes
    You're still alive

• watsyurdealwatsyurdeal Posts: 4,740

Timik and M4??? WHY?

Give her the Shar-C, Dreiss, or a Burst Rifle, for pete's sake VARIETY is what mercs need, different guns for different playstyles. :s

So hey, I have a small guide here you may like, go ahead, read it, you know you want to.

ダーティーボムは非常に良いですが、あなたは非常に悪いです
  • TheStrangerousTheStrangerous Posts: 1,757

Crotzni = Timik
    KEK = M4
    SHARC = Blishlock
    That new AR = Hochfir? SMG9?

Fletcher gettin' Sledgehammer melee supporter.
    More arcadey, less grounded gameplay supporter.

• SorotiaSorotia Posts: 1,364
    edited October 9

There it has been confirmed, the sky isn't falling...it isn't permanent...people can stop whining for it to be nerfed or removed before it is even launched.

@TheStrangerous said:
    Crotzni = Timik
    KEK = M4
    SHARC = Blishlock

The new AR is apparently akin to a Crotzni, which is basically a major seller for me cause I love that gun, and this is a bullpup.

But still, I'd like to see Arty with a Timik, Fragger with a Dreiss, etc, just more variety with guns for the sake of playstyles.

So hey, I have a small guide here you may like, go ahead, read it, you know you want to.

@watsyurdeal said:

@TheStrangerous said:
    Crotzni = Timik
    KEK = M4
    SHARC = Blishlock

The new AR is apparently akin to a Crotzni, which is basically a major seller for me cause I love that gun, and this is a bullpup.

But still, I'd like to see Arty with a Timik, Fragger with a Dreiss, etc, just more variety with guns for the sake of playstyles.

What would you get rid of with Fragger though? Unless with gen 3 they move to a 4 primary setup...each weapon his its followers.

• neverplayseriouneverplayseriou Posts: 1,291

1 sec deployment time, 10 sec duration and a 7 sec cd when picking it up, plenty of time to ruin a push into a turtle shield setup every spawn wave.

@Sorotia said:

@watsyurdeal said:

@TheStrangerous said:
    Crotzni = Timik
    KEK = M4
    SHARC = Blishlock

What would you get rid of with Fragger though? Unless with gen 3 they move to a 4 primary setup...each weapon his its followers.

Oh wait...right, my bad. I was thinking Skyhammer, and removing the Timik from him. XD

• woodchipwoodchip Posts: 115
    edited October 9

@neverplayseriou said:
    1 sec deployment time, 10 sec duration and a 7 sec cd when picking it up, plenty of time to ruin a push into a turtle shield setup every spawn wave.

I assume picking it up won't allow you to game the cooldown. So it has 50% uptime, which makes me feel a lot better about her.

Still, healless medic seems unsatisfying. If it ends up like the video said that she's played in comp as a third medic, then she probably should've just been a combat focused engineer.

And it seems likely her rez isn't good enough to even make her a secondary medic.

The "hybrid" design doesn't work when the merc straight up can't fill their primary role. On a gameplay level it just feels bad, just like current Javelin not really being able to give ammo feels bad even if Jav is balanced overall.

If you're just playing pubs adding Guardian to your squad seems unfun.

edited October 9

@woodchip said:

@neverplayseriou said:

I assume picking it up won't allow you to game the cooldown. So it has 50% uptime, which makes me feel a lot better about her.

Still, healless medic seems unsatisfying. If it ends up like the video said that she's played in comp as a third medic, then she probably should've just been a combat focused engineer.

And it seems likely her rez isn't good enough to even make her a secondary medic.

The "hybrid" design doesn't work when the merc straight up can't fill their primary role. On a gameplay level it just feels bad, just like current Javelin not really being able to give ammo feels bad even if Jav is balanced overall.

If you're just playing pubs adding Guardian to your squad seems unfun.

People are still gonna cry even if she is kinda UP when her drone isn't deployed/on cooldown because all they can do is fixate on is the drone.

Just like Javelin's ammo dispensing was a million times more OP then getting killed by a rocket...but all they could talk about was the rocket.

People just refuse to adapt...reason why they broke Dome...was to hard for people to guard two different push points...it's to hard to shoot or avoid rocket...as it will be to hard for people to shoot down her drone.

I mean heck, it's to hard for people to shoot down a aura station even when it's clearly in LoS...face palmed dozens of times watching my team fire at people in the aura but don't even think to actually shoot the station.

• Drac0rionDrac0rion Posts: 456

From the review videos, she honestly looks too situational to me to really include her in my squad. I wouldn't give up double healers over the skyshield unless the solo healer was an Aura.

I'm glad that the stats aren't overpowered, which makes her more of a situational merc, not something that will be standard meta.

I mean she can be great for objective control, denying explosives for nearly half a spawn wave, but that will just mean for the enemy fire supports to pick Kira more often as a counterpick, which I'm not happy about. Again, it's great for Kira to be more included and not just fight Artys and Skyhammers all the time, but I'm not a fan of DB introducing more direct counterpicks.

Though this does get me hyped about the next recon release, as I'd really expect another recon with EMP by now that doesn't use snipers (also still waiting for an actual rework to Phantom). This would introduce soft counterpicking, but it would also extremely increase the variety in my opinion.

Depending on how fast players can adapt to the skyshield, I actually find it could be rather easy to play around, considering it's duration and cooldown. Even so, if she will need buffs, I'd prefer not to see her getting more uptime on the drone, but maybe a buff to 120hp (she's 110hp in videos) to buff her assault potency or some tinkering with her revive glove.
    For example give the glove like a health pool for revives to up her potency as a medic: 100hp on tap revive, when reviving 2 mercs, the 100 will be split in half and so on when you add the charging value (Just an inital thought that might be too hard or near impossible to actually implement).

Overall, I'd say good job SD, at least the new merc doesn't seem broken.

• 376E1AE459B1376E1AE459B1 Posts: 91
    edited October 10

Granted, I've only played 2 maps with her. But is that a joke? I thought that Turtle was a waste of a merc slot, but god, THIS one is the most useless merc.

1. dies in no time. Haven't bothered checking how much health she has, but the main thing this medic needs.. is another medic to revive her all the time. Having zero health while she has to be on the field (unlike Sparks)?

2. can't even heal HERSELF. Hence, 1.

3. we then come to her only point, the skyshield. Granted, I haven't played in maps in which you normally airstrike, but that's the point, she's a very map (& thus time) specific merc.
      I have no idea what it's good for. Isn't it supposed to intercept Javelin's rockets? Well it wasn't even good at that. And when I thought it was useless, it's TIME LIMITED.
      Perhaps, and I haven't tried it yet, she'll be useful at protecting the EV from airstrikes in Chapel.. but I still wouldn't waste one precious merc slot for half of a map (or 1/4 in Stopwatch).

4. healing many mercs at once.. Pure gimmick. You need a lot of luck to happen to be there while several of your buddies died in a little enough pool, AND if that happens, chances are that you'll be killed in no time (because again, 1.) by the ones who killed your buddies in the first place.

Sure, if she was the only medic, then.. it'd be better than nothing. But I can't imagine why anyone would pick her over Aura. Ironic that the healing station is still the best "shield" in the game.

Btw in the video it says "appart from bullets", and yet we see the skyshield work on stuff that appear to come directly from enemies. What is it that aren't bullets and that the enemy shoots that often? I don't get it. If it's really airstrikes that we see it intercepting, shouldn't the rays go upwards?

Edit: tried her on Chapel.. Really, I don't get it.
    1. skyshield does NOTHING on orbital laser
    2. couldn't even get the skyshield to work on one airstrike, I couldn't sync them, and the time limit is dumb. Even with no time limit I think this would be useless.
    I hope someone is gonna prove me that she's useful, but I can't imagine that happening. She will just waste a good slot and make the enemy weaker. Meanwhile we'll all keep being instakilled by random snipers anyway, and there's still no merc to counter that.
    The same way I'm still waiting for anyone to prove me that Turtle is any useful (I really believed in him, spent hours with him). When someone deploys a shield I just laugh and shoot it down in a second. All he did was wasting me a few bullets at worst, and I laugh even more when I used javelin.

Post edited by 376E1AE459B1 on
  • ClemClem7ClemClem7 Posts: 379

She doesn't feel like a medic. A revive with a cooldown is not the better thing they could think of, and the lack of heal is really hard to balance for a medic.

The drone is fun, but people will just adapt, I'll just keep her in my said for achievement and if people go full explosive, but I'll not use it more than that.
    For me, the guardian legacy will be kira on chapel rather than arty.

If only it could shoot proxy mine at the monent she drop it and so make it explode in her hands, it could be a good counter to pancake dropper.

But as for now, she's not in a really good place. Not really a medic, not really an assault.

• scrub_lordscrub_lord Posts: 334

Her ability is suppose to block rockets right?

Literally just had 3 rockets in a row bypass her shield rofl

• WintergreenWintergreen Posts: 526

Hi.

I stopped following this thread and haven't played her yet. I have a question. Does she receive any support experience by placing her drone bubble shield thingy, by her drone bubble shield thingy blocking projectiles, by her drone bubble shield thingy being placed near the EV or other objectives, or by having her teammates step into her drone bubble shield thingy?

Danke.

• PtilouiPtiloui Posts: 306

@scrub_lord said:
    Her ability is suppose to block rockets right?

Literally just had 3 rockets in a row bypass her shield rofl

Exacly, this is not the sield that block incoming throwables (rocket, nades, stickies, etc) but the drone itself. If the drone doesn't see the rocket, the rocket won't be blocked (like if the shield bypass a wall, or the drone is behind some crates).
    But after the nade or rocket has passed the shield, if it continues its path and become visible by the drone, it then gets destroyed inside the air shield.
    (Hope it is clear enough :blush: )

• woodchipwoodchip Posts: 115
    edited October 10

Is anyone having a ton of fun with her? I'm not a huge fan but maybe she just isn't for me.

Would be curious to see her funness rated out of 10 by as many of you as possible.

Thanks!

• GatoCommodoreGatoCommodore Posts: 3,622

pretty useful since in close firefight you dont have time to shoot the drone while their teammates needs to spam explosive to clear the area and fragger spam is much bearable to defenders now

Bayonetta OST-Mysterious Destiny

Bayonetta, you're a mystery
    You come along with a destiny
    This is your life, a battlefield telling you who you are
    Bayonetta, this is your time
    You're gonna sparkle, you're gonna shine
    Girl, when you fight it looks like a dance, you are magic, you're magic

Come on, come on, come on, there's only one way, your way
    Come on, come on, come on, you know there's only one way, your way
    Dance, fight, spin around, spin around
    Dance, fight, fly higher, fly higher, fly higher

Bayonetta, you bury your loneliness deep down in your eyes
    Sadness lies in your smile
    But victory shines in your eyes
    You're still alive

• OwynTylerOwynTyler Posts: 331
    edited October 10

got a question too, about perk "Extra Supplies 20% cooldown reduction to support abilities. "

so... is her drone classified as "support ability" or not? or is it just for the revival dome?

If so, why are her perk slots wasted by inferior "recharge - 10% cooldown reduction to all abilities" when she has that extra supplies one also?

• XenithosXenithos Posts: 1,206

Funness when playing with a good Phoenix 9/10
    Funness when playing with 3 other Guardians that revive you with 28-40 hp. 1/10.

I don't care how much you've played or how good your aim is - If you haven't touched the game at least twice in three months then I see your "opinion" as hot moot.

• KayDubzKayDubz Posts: 348

She does not sound Korean to me at all btw

• Yesterday I mostly played her. I am having fun.

The merc itself:
    At first I was dying fast cause well, I guess playing ARs gives you the feeling that you are strong when you "only" have 110 HP with no self sustain. But the has a great speed to compensate and I love that. I like the design even if she looks like Javelin a lot. What's the thing with this haircut SD? The voice acting is great, as often. Well polished merc.

Weapon:
    I had trouble to adapt during first couple of games and could not hit @$!# with the weapon. So I played her with M4 and I felt weak in terms of sustaining myself. Akward for a medic.

So I went back to the new weapon, and God I love it. It feels like it's right between SMG-9 and Crotzni, having the accuracy of the first and the damage output of the Crotz. Easy to get headshots and I got some Fraggers down real quick and won 1v2, 1v3 situations as I adapted. I still have to play it more to be sure but it felt really good after 30 min. Give it to Kira please <3.

Medic:
    Is she a medic? I felt like the Revive ability is quite situational, being either very good or quite bad. I then tried to forget she was classified as a Medic and it all went better, the revive was a cool bonus. In the end, I liked how hybrid she is.
    The only thing I dislike is the lack of self sustain but she would be OP with medpacks.
    Give her "Tough" as a passive.

Overall, I had trouble to adapt for 30 min but it then went quite well when I played the weapon as if it was an SMG-9. I have no clue about how well she will perform during more competitive games as I could only use her on 7V7 environment. Vs decent players though.

• TheStrangerousTheStrangerous Posts: 1,757
    edited October 11

Yeah, seems Guardian to medics, is what Phantom is recons, and what Javelin is to fire Support.
    I can see next 3 mercs being hybrid mercs for their group.

Fletcher gettin' Sledgehammer melee supporter.
    More arcadey, less grounded gameplay supporter.

• Glottis-3DGlottis-3D Posts: 418

As i said multiple times before, a medic without a heal is not a medic. She cant even heal herself. So she is not a merc to choose for hard pushes and tough defences.

I say, give her at least a healing ability, like
    -faster regen for mercs around her
    -or she can switch regeneration for mercs in the buble and herself

medic's most important ability is to heal, and secondly - to revive.

here is my reddit post on that, if your interested in discussion there:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Dirtybomb/comments/75lm79/so_a_medic_without_a_healand_self_heal_whats_next/?st=j8mvpxle&sh=5264790b