Planned Forum Maintenance - 24th May 2018

We will be doing maintenance on 24th May 2018. The forums will be read-only until the maintenance is finished.

Limited edition obsidian cash-only is bullshit

13»

Comments

• NailNail Wpg, CanadaPosts: 3,534

there ya go, proving my point, it pleases me no end
    I only use bronzes

moop
  • l2cl2c Posts: 109

I'm not a huge fan of DBs way of handling skins, or guns for that matter. Loadouts instead of customizing, random loadouts stuck to random skins, heavy RNG, and one time skins that more often than not roll utter @$!#. Yeah, you can buy the loadouts in bronze, so what? Still static loadouts, still one skin. You can't even use the lower skins without gimping yourself.

Then there's Obsisian skins. And whatever they call the special ones, like Javelin's launch skin. I absolutely LOATHE limited digital content. If there's a limited recolor of a toy, you can argue it's costly to produce etc, but for digital content, the cost of additional copies are nigh non-existent. It's a couple of kb's on a server. That's it.
    Limited digital content is only limited to exploit poor suckers that are afraid of missing out. There are lots of us.
    Also, in Dirty Bomb, if you're a new player, you're not exactly wading in options for skins. The few there are, are behind overpriced, heavy RNG based cases, and it's very unlikely you'll get the one loadout you want with the one skin you want for the one merc you want it on. Which is another reason I don't understand making tons of awesome skins, and then just not having them available.

As for me. I started playing again after a long break when Jav was released. The week after Obsidian Phantom. I'm kicking myself for not noticing, but I can bloody well guarantee you I'm not buying Phoenix. If I can't get an obsidian for the merc of MY choosing, I'm not buying. I've spent enough money on DB, I don't feel I need to "support" them anymore, especially not on solutions I strongly disagree with. And I don't mind the 140NOK price for 3 loadouts and a merc (atleast if you don't have the merc), it's the "buy now or MISS OUT". Miss out it is.

gee, too bad you missed Phoenix when he was free, the game isn't about "skins" no matter what you think

moop
  • blufflordblufflord Posts: 595
    edited October 2017

@Nail said:
    b> @Meerkats said:

@GatoCommodore said:
    keep in mind that this game is free to play

@Meerkats said:
    ANYBODY ELSE LOOKING FORWARD TO THE INEVITABLE $20 GUARDIAN RNG LIMITED EDITION?!?!

AHAHAHaha... aha... ha... :(

if its cool why not
    why you make it sounds bad if other people want to buy it or not?
    skins dont give you any advantage in battle.

Oh, I'm fine with buying the merc + skin LE bundle. I always do. Way I see it is 50k credits takes me maybe 12 hours to earn. I earn... a lot... of money and time is money. Easy decision.

But I don't like the RNG aspect for exactly the same reason nobody else likes it. We don't like to get @$!#. But if you're cool rolling Enigma + Big ears + Cool, I guess everything is hunky dory.

but I love the RNG, nothing in the game gives me more pleasure

No, @Nail , you love all the whiny threads that RNG causes on these forums ;)

• watsyurdealwatsyurdeal Posts: 4,813

@blufflord said:

Probably because he needs a laugh

So hey, I have a small guide here you may like, go ahead, read it, you know you want to.

ダーティーボムは非常に良いですが、あなたは非常に悪いです
  • teflonloveteflonlove Posts: 671
    edited October 2017

@l2c said:
    If there's a limited recolor of a toy, you can argue it's costly to produce etc, but for digital content, the cost of additional copies are nigh non-existent. It's a couple of kb's on a server. That's it.

To fair, there is a one time cost of actually designing the new skins which I suppose can take quite a few person days as it has to be iterated a few times before it looks good.

Also if it's an obsidian skin, you have to draw a special background and do a flashy youtube video where people can listen to nerd1princess' cute accent.

And after that you have to read the RNG whining in the forums, debate if something should be done differently for the next skin and then decide against it (or hopefully not).

There is no ELO acronym, the Elo rating is named after the guy who invented it.

@blufflord said:

@Nail said:
    b> @Meerkats said:

@GatoCommodore said:
    keep in mind that this game is free to play

@Meerkats said:
    ANYBODY ELSE LOOKING FORWARD TO THE INEVITABLE $20 GUARDIAN RNG LIMITED EDITION?!?!

AHAHAHaha... aha... ha... :(

if its cool why not
    why you make it sounds bad if other people want to buy it or not?
    skins dont give you any advantage in battle.

Oh, I'm fine with buying the merc + skin LE bundle. I always do. Way I see it is 50k credits takes me maybe 12 hours to earn. I earn... a lot... of money and time is money. Easy decision.

But I don't like the RNG aspect for exactly the same reason nobody else likes it. We don't like to get @$!#. But if you're cool rolling Enigma + Big ears + Cool, I guess everything is hunky dory.

but I love the RNG, nothing in the game gives me more pleasure

yup, it's all so silly, can't help but laugh

moop
  • ImSplooshImSploosh Posts: 1,169

I think some people, myself included, are mostly just upset because we're unable to support SD due to the problems with purchasable items. The biggest example would be Elite Cases. 10 cases for $35? That's ridiculous. Not only are they entirely RNG, but they include Silver to Cobalt and occasionally LE skins with low chances for the better ones. Even if they had less RNG, like picking the merc we want, they'd still be a terrible deal. It just doesn't entice me to spend money at all. However, I did recently purchase a bundle of 10 Elite Cases + 2 guaranteed special edition cards just because I have never done so before. I immediately regretted that decision though.

If the prices were better, I'd be inclined to not only purchase them, but purchase a lot of them at that. I'm sure I'm not alone here... If the skins looked better, that would also offer some more incentive lol.

• MeerkatsMeerkats Posts: 136
    edited October 2017

@Xenithos said:
    My thoughts on just reading the first page, surprised I haven't seen this post sooner...

I absolutely have NEVER thought bad of SD for making these skins that they have, or for the expiration date. In fact, I think of worse of people who label them as Con-ning their players that they "don't listen to" despite doing their very best. You want to know why they don't look at these forums very often? It's because they're fudging TRYING TO GET STUFF DONE.

Anyway, regarding cards and your different opinions on opening a shop, it'd kind of defeat the purpose of an Obsidian loadout in the first place. This is a unique skin for a unique loadout, that all players have accessibility to in playstyle. However, I do patiently await trading, as I do believe that fixes most of these problems these people have. I do also believe they could make getting event cards more chooseable and easier earned, but it's their game. If you had offered your store approach/request in a different way, that wasn't entirely slanderous and in fact, ABUSIVE yourself, then I'd understand. But your initial post disgusts me. And I doubt, when phrased like that, a business would want to cater to such a customer.
    Thank you for your opinion though, maybe some good fruit will come from it.

~Vanilla.

Any time you artificially limit production or preset an end date on a product, you are creating an incentive to purchase said product entirely divorced of the value of the product itself. It's fine if you do it occasionally. In some cases, it's even fine if you do it every time. But Splash Damage falls under neither of those categories.

Do you really think coupons exist to help you save money? No, coupons exist to get you to purchase the product in the first place. For some reason, a lot of people don't believe me when I tell them that, but trust me on that one.

A good product should be able to stand on its legs. These tactics are designed to conflate a product's actual worth with an individual's fear of being the victim of having missed out. Basic stuff. I'd like to buy ( more ) Dirty Bomb merch, but the merch either doesn't exist, and when it does exist, is typically grossly overpriced and / or tied to bullshit RNG.

I swear, it's like people are saying Dirty Bomb is such a bad product that nobody would ever purchase any of these skins if they weren't limited edition or obsidian. That without obsidian status, this Phoenix skin would be worth only a nickel. I guess that makes me the the one confident enough in Dirty Bomb to believe skins would sell regardless of status.

Kicker: "Obsidian" is just marketing. The limited edition Ghost Javelin wasn't obsidian, and yet Ghost Javelin is more obsidian than the Phoenix and Aura obsidians, which are no different from the base model. Cause anything can be obsidian. It's just syntax. In fact, I'll see you on this one: Never sell obsidians in the permanent store. Never. Just sell special editions. Call them "onyxes."

Also, I can't think of a single dev or even situation where exclusive content for Founders was ever re-released to non-Founders. That's not a particularly special thing to do, that's just par.

@Xenithos said:
    You want to know why they don't look at these forums very often? It's because they're fudging TRYING TO GET STUFF DONE.

They have more than one employee. Additionally, these days, being involved in the community is part of "getting stuff done."

Post edited by Meerkats on
  • XenithosXenithos Posts: 1,761Special Editor
    edited October 2017

@Meerkats
    There's one thing between debating things they can do, and market values etc. and flat out labeling them as abusive and conning us. That is further from the truth, as I've said, we are the ones who put value on an item. And we put a crap of value into alt art obsidians.

The thing is, I agree with your points that they could have a shop, and introduce sales on items, and that they have more than one employee so they should be paying more attention or coming around more, etc.
    BUT - Obsidian alt-art with promise of exclusivity, that they HAVE kept since founders, is to many a great deal of being able to show not only their support for DB, but how long.
    I think they SHOULD have alt arts that last forever and can be purchased whenever, even something like small cosmetics to apply to a character or something... I just don't want to see them break the exclusivity they've already promised by bringing them back, or for them to be labeled terrible things that they frankly aren't doing.

Edit: As for coupons, many coupons are freebies to get you to come into the store. You still have the wallet and the ability not to buy other items. It depends on what store and what coupons my friend.

I don't care how much you've played or how good your aim is - If you haven't touched the game at least twice in three months then I see your "opinion" as hot moot.