Limited edition obsidian cash-only is bullshit

MeerkatsMeerkats Posts: 126
edited September 2017 in General Chat

I remember when Dirty Bomb didn't have a new limited edition, buy now or forever be separated, obsidian for sale every month. Yeah. That was like eight months ago.

I'm not gonna go on some rant about how Dirty Bomb was better back in the day, so let's just level.

You gotta make money, and now, you are. Great. Happy for you, more power to you, whatev. In fact, I've prior made recommendations on things you could sell like voice packs. I am not opposed to you guys selling @$!#.

But why is it every single new skin has to be a limited edition obsidian that will never be sold again? This isn't about your half-assed Phoenix, this is about the Javelin, the Arty, the Stoker, etc. You're pumping out a new obsidian once a month now, so why you gotta do us dirty like this. Just open a legit market where we can buy skins. Maybe have items rotate or be seasonal. Maybe have sales. You know, like about every other game that has a cash shop. What is up with this high pressure, hard sale bullshit? Why you gotta be so damn scummy? Is it to justify your abusive pricing by creating artificial scarcity to create demand? To con us, your players, by taking advantage of us and our anxieties via artificial expiration dates? What's next? Limit a skin to only the first 250 buyers? You aren't fooling anybody; these are piles of pixels on a computer that you can redistribute at will whenever you damn well please.

Come on Splash Damage. You guys think you're Wells Fargo CEO's or something? If the product is good, we will support you. You know that. When limited edition obsidians came once a year to commemorate the release of a new merc, we could understand. When you're shitting them out every month, yet insisting on these bullshit hard sales tactics, you're just taking a dump on us. Open a store tab for skins. Don't make the skins limited edition. We'll still buy your dumb pixels, and you guys won't be tremendous jackasses.

Post edited by Meerkats on

Comments

• STARRYSOCKSTARRYSOCK Posts: 1,441

I've bought a few cards from this game, but the main reason I've done so is just to support SD. I've gotten over 1,000 hours out of it, I figured I should give them something in return. Some looked great like phantom, others looked like @$!# like turtle, but the main reason I bought them was for SD.

But if I didn't support SD like I do, there's no way in hell I would have bought those cards. I don't have a problem with them being limited edition. I'd prefer if they went on sale periodically, but whatever. The issue I have with it is that the cards are all so stupidly expensive. I know a lot of people who would have bought them if they were more reasonable for what they were, but 15$ for a single card? (because really, how many people will play all three cards they get from a bundle regularly)
    You could buy a small game or a large DLC with that, but instead you expect people with no emotional attachment to the game to drop that kind of money on a skin they won't even see, outside of the glorified default weapon that you're holding?

Now, I'm not a business expert. But I know when you aren't being scared away by the price, you can usually move more product, especially when your product is something that can be duplicated infinitely for no cost to you. If more people bought them, even at a lower price, I can easily see the devs making more money off of them. But instead literally everything in this game is overpriced as @$!#, even things with no paid alternatives.

I highly doubt anything will change though, especially not from commenting here. SD seems to be doing it's best to ignore us completely, as well as shoving almost everyone away who isn't sucking their dick to try to maintain some sort of harmful secrecy with their community and the people who are actually supporting the game.
    "Don't like this? Banned from the PTS! Oh, a lot of you don't like this? Make a new secret PTS for only people we love. Who cares about actually testing mercs, just look at how great javelin was at launch! Now let's get an even smaller test group!"
    Of course not everyone at SD is like this, but well, the people who are are currently the ones who are making themselves most obvious

• you said it yourself

if its good, people will buy it regardless the price

Electric Light Orchestra - Prologue/Twilight

• I personally just find it a complete joke that the bundle which has Phoenix and 3 obsidians is 20 euro's and one individual obsidian is 13 euro's, it's way to expensive for 1 card.

And maybe start adding in good obsidians for mercs that are actually used a lot instead of making obsidians for Phantom and Phoenix...

• GuziolGuziol Posts: 353

Just don't buy it? I bought an obsidian phantom just to give devs some money because i enjoyed this game for 1,2k hours without spending a penny. I never play phantom.

• @GatoCommodore said:
    if you think its not that good then dont buy it

then an announcement "uhh ohh we'r shutting down servers cuz nobody buys our stuff T_T"

• I thought obsidians were cards of founder status, cards that were given to those that stuck with the game for a while to be there for their advent. Now it's just money skins. q_q Way to ruin their magic.

• ImSplooshImSploosh Posts: 1,167

The idea of limited edition is the same in every game, it's a business model that works. People are more likely to spend money, especially larger amounts, if the items are limited edition because then they're considered special and prestigious. The idea that they're available only for a limited time makes them desirable. When people consider the short period of time they have to purchase the item before they never get the chance to again, they're more likely to pick it up. People worry about regretting not picking up those "special" items when they have a chance. It's weird how it works, but that's psychology for you.

Anyways, my problem with these type of cards is that they haven't listened to us at all. We can't choose the loadout we want and the prices are ridiculous for what we're getting. It would definitely be nice if they dropped the prices and kept them in the store under a skins tab forever, or even if they just kept them in longer than they have been.

• EoxEox FrancePosts: 3,123Moderator

@Melinder said:

@Eox said:
    Devs are sure less active than they should in the official forums, but Pinflux did show up in the official forums recently when someone reported being kicked from servers recently. This shows that we're not abandonned.

No, it shows that only in extreme circumstances will they take action.

As for this PTS Drama, I really have no knowledge on the situation. I have been told by many people, some of which whom have been in the PTS at some point in time, that the PTS is filled primarily with content creators/community figures, of which have very little knowledge on how to actually "test" or balance the game. I for one have a problem with that, and it is very clear that this has had lasting affects on how the game has turned out over the years.

As for the devs not listening.. One step forwards, two steps back basically sums it up. On top of their inability to actually balance things properly, their lack of urgency on basically every problem is rather frustrating.

You can't expect the dev team to make a move if the same feedback does not come enough times from the playerbase. Don't expect a change to be made of nobody complaints about it, or just a few people among thousand do. It's perfectly normal that a community request gets done only if enough players speak about it.

• Trading will help fill in the obsidian gaps in your collection.

• @ImSploosh said:
    The idea of limited edition is the same in every game, it's a business model that works. People are more likely to spend money, especially larger amounts, if the items are limited edition because then they're considered special and prestigious. The idea that they're available only for a limited time makes them desirable. When people consider the short period of time they have to purchase the item before they never get the chance to again, they're more likely to pick it up. People worry about regretting not picking up those "special" items when they have a chance. It's weird how it works, but that's psychology for you.

Anyways, my problem with these type of cards is that they haven't listened to us at all. We can't choose the loadout we want and the prices are ridiculous for what we're getting. It would definitely be nice if they dropped the prices and kept them in the store under a skins tab forever, or even if they just kept them in longer than they have been.

Well said.

I'm 100% confident that allowing us to choose our own loadouts would result in more money for them. They're entirely reliant on gambling and people that continue to 'chase' the cards they want at the moment. So, yes, some people are more likely to continue paying until they get the card they want whether through crafting or other events, but that type of model is only sustainable for so long in my opinion. There comes a point when people lose interest and are no longer willing to risk their own money for something that is extremely unlikely to land in their favor. Tweaking the weapon kits, narrowing our options to one merc, or completely narrowing it down to loadout of our choice would be ideal. I know for a fact that I and many others would spend an insane amount of money if this were possible. Lastly, I think it'd add personality to the game. We'd then be seeing people run with skins and loadouts they truly want and suit their playstyles rather than the ones they were lucky enough to get. Everyone would be playing as themselves, if that makes any sense.

• EsakaEsaka Posts: 57

I don't have money to support lol.

• You sound like the customer I deal with at my job, things cost money, especially new stuff, deal with it.

So hey, I have a small guide here you may like, go ahead, read it, you know you want to.

ダーティーボムは非常に良いですが、あなたは非常に悪いです
  • MeerkatsMeerkats Posts: 126
    edited September 2017

@watsyurdeal said:
    You sound like the customer I deal with at my job, things cost money, especially new stuff, deal with it.

I sound exactly like the customer that says, "if you're going to produce a new product every month, and then sell it for only a week, why not just open a store and just sell those products from the store throughout the year?"

Got it. Thanks for not reading.

@Melinder said:
    cough Thunder cough Snipers cough Shotguns cough

As much as I think this is also an important topic, let's please talk about Splash Damage's shady ass, high pressure sales bullshit, constantly trying to hustle us with overpriced skins when they could just have a normal store / market with reasonably priced stuff year round.

• @Meerkats said:

@Melinder said:
    cough Thunder cough Snipers cough Shotguns cough

As much as I think this is also an important topic, let's please talk about Splash Damage's shady ass, high pressure sales bullshit, constantly trying to hustle us with overpriced skins when they could just have a normal store / market with reasonably priced stuff year round.

The inevitable derail of SD related threads.

Eradicator of Chimps

• SzakalotSzakalot Posts: 3,197

'take advantage of our anxieties', wait, what??

First!

48px-First_Blood.png?version=ee44701eadae9f5eb7db0d17c0edc6c9
  • GatoCommodoreGatoCommodore Posts: 4,104
    edited September 2017

@Szakalot its like what the japanese did with gunpla where they stamp limited edition and then they just re-release it a year/2 later

the price is also lower since its not a limited edition anymore

also happens to card games

but these two are on different rarity.

the first one is secret rare the second one is ultra rare
    do you need the limited edition? no not really.

it preys on people who cant control their faith and wallet

Electric Light Orchestra - Prologue/Twilight

• supply and demand, if you flood the market with everything then some of the incentive to get it is lost.
    most players/customers dont have a problem with the concept.
    if you have a playerbase of 2000 and 100 are dissatisfied then its not really viable to change everything just to appease the small minority, as doing so might upset the vast majority. so while to you it may seem super obvious that something may indeed "suck" , without 25-30% of the playerbase behind you nothing is going to happen.
    personally i have no problem with dropping $12-20 a month for limited stuff. ya i wish i could buy the cards that came and gone long before i started playing, but thats life, same for the trinkets. Why should they change it and the exclusivity of what i have bought takes a dump, that would p**s me off. you views are your own and shared with a few others, they are important and you have every right to share them here, but not all agree with you or with me. the Devs need to listen to the playerbase, but that means all of the playerbase, not just the minority, and unfortunately the minority is usually the loudest as the majority is usually happy with the way things are and has no reason to be heard. belittling others for their opinions just proves ignorance, we all have a right to be heard weather you have 1 post or 5000 post. its all a numbers game the fine ballence of price per item vs ammount sold, sometimes it needs adjusting but only a timed study can tell you that, if they change things right away every month there really is no baseline to go from, usually needs a good 4-5 months to play out. then gradual changes to tweek things in right direction. maybe next month it will only be $10 a card? as i agree with you on a few points ( 3 for $20 makes no sense...should be 3 for $25 or any 2 for $20) and i would love to see a "second hand store" where players could buy and sell or trade trinkets or cards for credits with a small % going back to the "house".

All i can see here is somebody getting his panties in a bunch over a non-issue and getting upset when people point it out.

• imLegalimLegal Posts: 48
    edited September 2017

OP I get it you're in your feelings about SD's business decisions but it is what it is. Perhaps what's inconvenient to you is convenient to someone else. Personally, i'm 100% behind their business decision. Sure the prices are a little steep, but for the promise of exclusivity that justifies it for me. You can call it scummy, make a petition and harass Shoe all day on Discord about it, make forum threads whining about it, make yourself seem like a victim of systemic abuse and make a long ass journal about how much of an emotional trauma and psychological wrecking the journey of living through limited time only sales has been - but at the end of the day it is what it is.

Now whether or not SD should release more skins, or general content overall, that isn't limited only should be an actual discussion to have. But to cry "muh Anxieties" because SD is selling limited edition content, which isn't anything new since that's been their business model for a while now, isn't the right way to start one imo.

Post edited by imLegal on
  • @kittz0r said:
    exclusive like the Containment Wars Skins? please..

Lmao to be fair, the skins were different and the event made sense considering CW skins was for the beginning of Execution and FA skins for the ending of it.

In this case we're talking about exclusive limited Obsidian skins obtainable only through money (as it should be), not limited event skins (which are still exclusive limited skins obtainable by other means than just purchasing them directly, as it should be).

• MeerkatsMeerkats Posts: 126
    edited September 2017

@imLegal said:
    Sure the prices are a little steep, but for the promise of exclusivity that justifies it for me.

See, this is an interesting argument, and peeps have mentioned it before. That because it is exclusive, it has extra value. But here's the thing... the skins have zero value because there's no trading. It's like Overwatch cosmetics. Nobody ever talks about how valuable Overwatch cosmetics are because they're locked to your account so it's a moot point. Unless you trade or sell your entire account, you couldn't even get a McDonald's happy meal out of your collection. These are non-liquid assets.

Therefore Dirty Bomb loadouts, no matter how shiny, until implementation of trading, are worth less than single ply toilet paper.

Using this notion of preserving value by maintaining exclusivity to justify scummy activity just shows how much you've drank the Kool-Aid. They can still have limited edition skins. Event skins as limited editions? Fine. What I am saying is that all these obsidians Splash Damage is shitting out like a bad case of Taco Bell? The LE Javelin where the only difference is the hair colour? This LE Phoenix where the only difference is a helmet and a baby carrier in front? Just make a store, and sell them there instead of trying to hustle players.

@GatoCommodore said:
    @Szakalot its like what the japanese did with gunpla where they stamp limited edition and then they just re-release it a year/2 later

the price is also lower since its not a limited edition anymore

Somebody who gets it. Amazing. Accepting all this limited edition stuff is just opening yourself up to further abuse like this.

This is the same as gaming pre-order culture. The publishers secure extra pre-order sales by dropping "crazy" limited editions, then when the game hits shelves, maybe 80% of the peeps who bought in end up regretting their decisions but they drank the Kool-Aid and gg no re. This is why the boycott pre-orders movement exists ( Horizon: Zero Dawn pre-order though? The $120 one? Totes worth it. Wish I got the NIER: Automata one too ).

And this is even worse. Again, we're buying skins. The loadout is moot cause we can get those for credits. Once we've bought the skin, why do we have to buy it a second time? It's like clothes. If your hypothetical sister wants to borrow your hypothetical skirt, and you agree to let her borrow said hypothetical skirt, does she have to pay? No. Except in this case, she somehow does in a way that makes even less sense. Actual clothes requires actual materials. There are cases when you will have to buy new clothes. Skins are piles of pixels on a computer. They can replicated at will for no cost.

From what I've heard, TotalBiscuit is doing a video about Dirty Bomb soon, and I'm hoping he reams the devs on this cause I know he likes this @$!# as little as I do. Probably gonna be a bit damaging to Dirty Bomb, but, eh, it's probably worth it.

edited September 2017

TotalCasket has not been relevant for a while, other than his hate on trap memes.
    It's goddamn cosmetics. Nobody forces you to buy anything. Again.

• binderrbinderr Posts: 177

yes yes, a separate store for limited/obsidian skin should be implemented, I approve! B)