The Danger of All This New Content

hawkeyeguy99hawkeyeguy99 Posts: 638
edited September 2017 in General Chat

Before I start, please don't misunderstand me. I love how much content is coming out as of late. It's something I have been complaining about for a long time and it's finally not an issue. But I'm worried about what specifically the new Merc and weapon release schedule will do to the game.

Every time a new merc is released it upsets the meta of the game rather drastically (aka Javelin) and then settles after about a month as people figure out the niches these new mercs fill and how they play with other team members. The same goes for weapons. There's no way around this it's just how it is with new releases.

Here's the issue though, at the rate they said they are going to be releasing mercs and weapons the game is going to be in a state of constant meta shift with never really a time to settle. This is the problem Paladins has fallen into and why I stopped playing that game. I never got a chance to really get to learn the new hero before the next one was released and the meta shifted again. I'm worried the same thing is going to happen with Dirty Bomb, the game is never going to have a stable meta because new mercs and weapons will be flooding the game at a constant pace which means we will never get a solid meta for a long time until they finally call it good and start working on minorly balancing everything.

Suggestion to avoid the problem? Space it out more. Maybe a new one every 3 months and in the in-between release maps, gamemodes, balance updates, customization items, and events.

Too glam to give a damn.
In game as Seebetterfromadistance.

«1

Comments

  • I dunno.

    The whole 2016 was a huge drought in new content.
    I mean, apart from new sniper and 2 execution maps (and sure Summer Squash), it was very stale...
    While in 2017 (The second half at least), everything's making up for it.

    Yeah, we got disproportionate balance in released content.

    I'm an aspiring trilingual.
    Gonna conquer the Spanish idioma uno día!

  • AlbinMattAlbinMatt Posts: 1,111

    Well, here's an analogy to think about.

    Would you rather have a 7 Richter earthquake every two months for the next year.

    Or

    Have a 10 Richter earthquake in a month?

  • FishRollsFishRolls Posts: 73
    edited September 2017

    This is a beta game, so of course they should get as much content in as possible. In fact I'm sad the devs feel they need to have a completely seperate server to test content when that's what the base game is supposed to be for. Somehow they thought release Javalin's missile launcher was okay since it got through the test server, but now that it's being nerfed that's obviously not the case.

  • STARRYSOCKSTARRYSOCK Posts: 1,441

    @GatoCommodore said:
    -lack of content

    BOOO

    -flood of content

    BOOO
    nothing really ever pleases the crowd...

    A healthy dose of generalization washed down with a glass of straw man argument.

    In 2016, there was almost no new content added to the game. Now the devs are making up by releasing new content extremely fast. Obviously both are bad, what we need is a balance, which is exactly what OP was suggesting.

    Besides, the people who want more mercs are not the same people who don't want more mercs. Of course generalizing an entire playerbase won't make sense.

  • I hate to be the 'it's still in beta' guy, but I imagine this may be why and the best argument in favor of it if they do plan to release these things as scheduled. That and last year's drought as mentioned above plus removing Nexon from the equation may be a spark they needed as well. If and when this game hits whatever you'd like to call a 'full launch', I'm sure the changes won't be as frequent which will leave plenty of time for the meta to settle down. I think from that point on a new merc every 6 months to a year would be ideal.

  • EoxEox FrancePosts: 3,123Moderator
    edited September 2017

    Paladins has "fallen" ? Last time I checked that game was still the 4th most played F2P on Steam.

    Those worries are also, in my honest opinion, rather misplaced. By the time Javelin came out, we already managed to get a full balance pass on all mercs and weapons. Granted, some changes were rather underwhelming, but a good batch were rather decent. They even made Javelin changes that were a nice step in the good direction. Not enough in my opinion though, but it helped nicely so far. They can release a bit more content at this point. Two new weapons shouldn't be too much of an issue.

    Post edited by Eox on
  • LifeupOmegaLifeupOmega Posts: 2,033
    edited September 2017

    Not like there's an actual meta anyway with comp being as dead as it is and ranked, aside from being a joke with no merc limits, not allowing new mercs in until, I assume, the next season.

    You think the average pub is gonna care that there's one new merc that might upset this imaginary meta? No, they see new guns, new character to play, and get excited.

    Reminder that it's always okay to vote kick a sniper, no matter how well they're doing.
  • GuziolGuziol Posts: 353

    Good. I hate the meta.

  • @Eox said:
    Paladins has "fallen" ? Last time I check that game was still the 4th most played F2P on Steam.

    I meant that more as a reason I stopped playing, I know it's still popular. I just got tired of trying to learn/git gud at a new hero only to have another one released before I could really learn where that hero fit in a team composition. It kept happening over and over and I just gave up trying. I may go back at some point but the game is just in too much turmoil for me to want to play it.

    Too glam to give a damn.
    In game as Seebetterfromadistance.

  • SD is putting that Chicken Money to work, and it shows. For all we know some of this content could have been withheld during Nexon's reign over the game. But shoe himself said that SD is constantly growing, from hiring way more employees to even having to move into a bigger building because of it. I think these guys are up to the task to crank out content at a reasonable rate. And like many have said, the meta will sort itself out. And sure getting flash banged in Paladins over and over sucked or dodging 4 missiles at once in DB was kind of lame when Jav first came out, but like all new stuff people get bored of it and mix it around.

  • This guy always has something to complain about, always jumping at the shadows and trying to find a reason to hate the game or be upset at the game or something. The game is fine, they said they were adding a new merc every 5-7 weeks until the end of the year or something like that. Thats like 2 or 3 mercs. Then 6 months after we get the last merc there will be a new meta and everything will be fine. Logic dude.

    And then later on you comment that you stopped playing Paladins because the meta was constantly changing. In your original post you made it seem like Paladins was a failure because of the problem YOU had, talk about trying to stretch the truth to fit your agenda.

    It's just interesting how you try to suggest a fix to a problem that no one is having except for you. Stop trying to make devs change the game to revolve around you and only you.

  • If 2016 was the great drought of DB.
    Then 2017 is the great flooding of DB.
    That means 2018 will be in between, or something worse, both drought and flooding at the same time.

    I'm an aspiring trilingual.
    Gonna conquer the Spanish idioma uno día!

  • @TheStrangerous said:
    If 2016 was the great drought of DB.
    Then 2017 is the great flooding of DB.
    That means 2018 will be in between, or something worse, both drought and flooding at the same time.

    2018 will be the coming of rnJesus

  • @WatchAsILead said:
    This guy always has something to complain about, always jumping at the shadows and trying to find a reason to hate the game or be upset at the game or something. The game is fine, they said they were adding a new merc every 5-7 weeks until the end of the year or something like that. Thats like 2 or 3 mercs. Then 6 months after we get the last merc there will be a new meta and everything will be fine. Logic dude.

    And then later on you comment that you stopped playing Paladins because the meta was constantly changing. In your original post you made it seem like Paladins was a failure because of the problem YOU had, talk about trying to stretch the truth to fit your agenda.

    It's just interesting how you try to suggest a fix to a problem that no one is having except for you. Stop trying to make devs change the game to revolve around you and only you.

    1st, chill. You've been on this forum for barely a month and haven't even logged in more than a hundred times. You don't even know me so chill with the "this guy always ____".

    2nd, I LITERALLY said in my post it's why "I stopped playing" Paladins. That's an opinion that I shared, not presented as fact or truth. Learn to read before you try @$!#-talking people.

    3rd, Other people have already agreed with me that quality is better than quantity so I don't know where you get off saying "no one else has this problem" cause you're way off base.

    4th, nearly every post you've made in the last month or so is bad-mouthing other people and their opinions. No one wants or needs that on the forums so either learn how to contribute to the conversation without attacking people personally or take your toxic self to Reddit.

    Too glam to give a damn.
    In game as Seebetterfromadistance.

  • We had the same discussion as started by the OP on our Mumble server (7-8 guys, all min. 500h in-game) some days ago.

    Regarding the finetunig of Javelin, how long it took and still will take and the promise by a SD employee to release a new merc every 6 (to 8?) week we are all afraid that SD will loose the way to keep the game and Mercs balanced. We also don't think that it's a good idea to have always the same and known ppl on the PTS servers as they imho don't represent the daily CMM DB player community. But in these daily CMM games is where the @$!# happens that noone could predict during matches on PTS servers.

    PS: Still waiting for a flamethrowing merc ^^
    PSS: Excuse my @$!# englich, I am zeh german.

  • henki000henki000 Posts: 341
    edited September 2017

    I think Dirty Bomb needs a lot of new content that mirror all the content that has been removed. Mercs, weapons and balance does not replace execution or ranked. UI, bug fixes and communication with community does not unite all players. There is war in game markets, but they are struggling in many battlefronts. You need to create something monolithic, ingenious to gather players in same barricade. Be extreme, be arcane, show miracles. All SD need is some marketing expert and shitload of money. If you look at the steams free or prostitute games, it's amazing what garbage people are willing to play.

    Post edited by henki000 on
  • +1 but dont forget the roots.

  • @pr0nflakes said:
    We had the same discussion as started by the OP on our Mumble server (7-8 guys, all min. 500h in-game) some days ago.

    Regarding the finetunig of Javelin, how long it took and still will take and the promise by a SD employee to release a new merc every 6 (to 8?) week we are all afraid that SD will loose the way to keep the game and Mercs balanced. We also don't think that it's a good idea to have always the same and known ppl on the PTS servers as they imho don't represent the daily CMM DB player community. But in these daily CMM games is where the @$!# happens that noone could predict during matches on PTS servers.

    PS: Still waiting for a flamethrowing merc ^^
    PSS: Excuse my @$!# englich, I am zeh german.

    I honestly don't know how release Javalin could have gotten through the PTS, either the PTS testers are biased or they're not testing much in general.

  • NailNail Wpg, CanadaPosts: 3,534

    likely because the PTS players developed defensive strats right away

    moop
  • XenithosXenithos Posts: 1,514Special Editor

    Personally, I want the flood to keep coming. I mean, you saw what it did for Halo right?

    WAYYYY better here...

    I don't care how much you've played or how good your aim is - If you haven't touched the game at least twice in three months then I see your "opinion" as hot moot.

  • B_MontielB_Montiel Posts: 1,049

    @FishRolls said:

    @pr0nflakes said:
    We had the same discussion as started by the OP on our Mumble server (7-8 guys, all min. 500h in-game) some days ago.

    Regarding the finetunig of Javelin, how long it took and still will take and the promise by a SD employee to release a new merc every 6 (to 8?) week we are all afraid that SD will loose the way to keep the game and Mercs balanced. We also don't think that it's a good idea to have always the same and known ppl on the PTS servers as they imho don't represent the daily CMM DB player community. But in these daily CMM games is where the @$!# happens that noone could predict during matches on PTS servers.

    PS: Still waiting for a flamethrowing merc ^^
    PSS: Excuse my @$!# englich, I am zeh german.

    I honestly don't know how release Javalin could have gotten through the PTS, either the PTS testers are biased or they're not testing much in general.

    Javelin is basically half assed between fragger, nader, and any support merc. So there are always one merc better at doing her job in every single situation. Yes, her instagib kills are annoying and quite cheap in public with rabbits running everywhere.

    But in organized plays with people working together she's far less efficient. And that's why her original state never got caught by PTS players.

    Nevertheless, her arrival was needed as they were still way too many situations where stacking over Aura's station was the defensive meta no matter what and this finally give a clear counter on those strategies.

    And right now, the meta is lame enough in DB. I won't consider any meta until :

    • An actual one merc limit is put in place in ranked and everywhere it's supposed to be competitive. Duo Fragger/Arty are still the best composition depending if you have destroy EV or not.
    • Competitive stop looking like a threesome between 3 of the same teams over and over again
  • Puppi_Puppi_ Posts: 2

    who cares about the "meta"
    just have fun,that's what matter most

  • bushygbushyg Posts: 233

    Pub meta, lol.

  • blufflordblufflord Posts: 586

    @Puppi_ said:
    who cares about the "meta"
    just have fun,that's what matter most

    But fun is had in different ways to different people. Sure I might have fun @$!# about as pistol only rhino or some @$!#, but others might have fun by playing competitively, in which case the META matters a lot to them.

  • WatchAsILeadWatchAsILead Posts: 56
    edited October 2017

    @hawkeyeguy99 said:

    @WatchAsILead said:
    This guy always has something to complain about, always jumping at the shadows and trying to find a reason to hate the game or be upset at the game or something. The game is fine, they said they were adding a new merc every 5-7 weeks until the end of the year or something like that. Thats like 2 or 3 mercs. Then 6 months after we get the last merc there will be a new meta and everything will be fine. Logic dude.

    And then later on you comment that you stopped playing Paladins because the meta was constantly changing. In your original post you made it seem like Paladins was a failure because of the problem YOU had, talk about trying to stretch the truth to fit your agenda.

    It's just interesting how you try to suggest a fix to a problem that no one is having except for you. Stop trying to make devs change the game to revolve around you and only you.

    1st, chill. You've been on this forum for barely a month and haven't even logged in more than a hundred times. You don't even know me so chill with the "this guy always ____".

    2nd, I LITERALLY said in my post it's why "I stopped playing" Paladins. That's an opinion that I shared, not presented as fact or truth. Learn to read before you try @$!#-talking people.

    3rd, Other people have already agreed with me that quality is better than quantity so I don't know where you get off saying "no one else has this problem" cause you're way off base.

    4th, nearly every post you've made in the last month or so is bad-mouthing other people and their opinions. No one wants or needs that on the forums so either learn how to contribute to the conversation without attacking people personally or take your toxic self to Reddit.

    Telling you something you might not want to hear is not toxic lol, someone disagreeing with you is not toxic.

    In the one month I've been on this forum YOU have been repeatedly making posts about how temporary issues or problems that only YOU and/or a small minority of players are experiencing. "The menus are laggy and suck and will kill DB", "CMM is garbage and sucks and will kill DB", "More content sucks and is garbage and will kill DB", "Ranked sucks and will Kill DB", "Dome Redux sucks and will kill DB".

    Overanylizing every little aspect of the game and saying it will kill DB is not constructive criticism, and I disagree with posts like that, we dont need posts like that.

    It's almost like you make a post about something YOU dont like, and instead of asking the community if they experience the same thing or how they feel you just storm on in demanding changes as if the entire game revolves around you, as if Hawkeyeguy99 is the ONLY person that plays this game, then you softly (Threaten) the games death or failure if they dont fix something that YOU demand.

    There are other players here, YOU need to learn how to have discussions instead of making demands, DISCUSS the problems dont demand things change without even consulting the other players in this forum. I don't have to have 500+ posts to know how to have a simple discussion. If you want to continue this discussion you can PM me, other than that please learn to be more considerate of the other players. Thank you.

    Instead of "The Danger of All this New Content" and demanding changes, how about "Does anyone else feel like there is too much content?" or "How do you feel about this new content?" or "Does too much new content ruin the meta?". So much better.

    Instead of "The menus are laggy and will push new players away" Try "Does anyone else feel the menus are laggy?"

Sign In or Register to comment.