The End of Execution - 22nd August, 2017

stayfreshshoestayfreshshoe Posts: 535Administrator, Moderator, Developer
edited August 10 in Announcements

Hey all!

Many of you know the story of Dirty Bomb: After spending a decade perfecting fast paced, objective based shooters in other publishers' universes, we here at Splash Damage wanted to go it alone - To create a spiritual successor to Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory with a modern spin, for ourselves and for our fans.

We hoped and trusted that our fans would spread the word, and that the joy of playing together in maps that opened up over the course of a single match would capture a whole new audience. Objective and Stopwatch modes have always been our bread and butter, the ultimate realization of what makes a Splash Damage game great.

In October 2015, we introduced a game mode: Execution. To compete against other titles, we wanted a game mode that would make transitioning to Dirty Bomb fluid. We hoped that players would feel comfortable in Execution, but then see the light and join the fun in Objective matches.

We've spent the last two years supporting Execution, adding a new map last year and including in-game bonuses for playing the mode. But numbers don't lie, and the truth is that only 5% of players' time in-game are spent in Execution mode.

We've realized that we should be concentrating on what makes Dirty Bomb unique. We know many of you still enjoy Execution, and so it's with a heavy heart that we've decided to remove the game mode from Dirty Bomb. Moving forward, we'll be focusing on the core experience of the game, making Objective and Stopwatch the most fun you can have with a keyboard and mouse. That's not to say we're closing the door on future game modes, but you can be sure that any we consider adding will play to the fast-paced strengths of the game.

We're not worried about introducing others to Dirty Bomb; Now that we have the game back, we're staffing up the team and will be adding more content than ever. We're comfortable with the fast-paced, high skill ceiling, objective-based shooter that it is, and trust that with your help, more and more players will discover how much fun it can be. In fact... We have another major update coming in the next two weeks!

Execution will be in the game until the 22nd of August. To round it off with a bang, we're taking things back to where they all began with updated Second Edition Containment War in the Final Assault Event.

Thanks,
shoe.

Comments

• frostyvampirefrostyvampire Posts: 1,122

Good bye cs:g... I mean execution.

But may I ask what will happen with it? @stayfreshshoe
    Will you keep the coding and maps so when we get community servers it will be possible to replay it?
    Will you remake the 3 maps and turn them into objective maps?
    Or is there anything completely different?
    Because I'm sure you won't just delete everything since you worked so hard on it

• DarkSeraDarkSera Posts: 3

Oh no!! =( I love Execution! Pls let the mode in the game with this 3 maps .. you don't have to support it .. let it be what it is.

Works on a good Matchmaking! For Objective and Execution.

Than we need pve coop gamemode and deathmatch mode!

I love Dirty Bomb! So pls don't delete any mode =(

• well I think its sad that you are removing it from the game it is nice to have a second game mode to go play when you get sick of playing the same maps over and over again and I don't mean stop watch cause that's pretty much the same as objective the execution maps are a lot of fun and I really enjoy them and I do think they can be just as hard and fast paced as the rest of the game

• TheStrangerousTheStrangerous Posts: 1,791

These execution maps have the potential of KOTH/Turf war modes.

Fletcher gettin' Sledgehammer melee supporter.
    More arcadey, less grounded gameplay supporter.

• Plagu_ePlagu_e Posts: 1

thats just bs no more

• BlackboltLWBlackboltLW Posts: 584

@Eox said:

@blufflord said:
    But what about the execution maps? Please find a way to rework them into obj/stopwatch matches pleaaaassse!
    They're such nice maps and I would hate to see them go to waste. Maybe allow them to be used in private matches or something, i dunno.

I second this. It would be great those see those bits of map being reworked into proper OB/SW maps.

I wanna see the attacker spawn of Market reworked as the final part of Trainyard

I mean it looks the same

• Mc1412013Mc1412013 Posts: 1,813

@Grushnag said:
    It's not hurting anything. Why remove it?
    I've had a ton of fun playing execution.

My mind is blown. What kind of decision is this?

As much as i like the mode, i think i know why. If they decided to leave it in for the few of us that do play. They might be woried they have to fix problems and add more maps to a mode they dont want to dedicate resources to when people complain.

Hey look i finaly got a sig , and nothing to put here

• iNormaliNormal Posts: 24

That kinda sad. You guys should reworking those maps into objective/stopwatch maps. or add Team Deathmatch and Free for all or something like Capture the flag, it would be more fun to the game than just those 2 borings Objective and Stopwatch

• MacSsoGMacSsoG Posts: 3

im just happy for 3 maps. no need new map just dont close exe thats all.if they close then rip db maybe

• Trishhh99Trishhh99 Posts: 17

cough Not the first time they let us down. I'll better off to other games now, sorry.