Let's talk Turtle

SatanicUnicornSatanicUnicorn Posts: 76
edited July 15 in General Chat

Now, I'd like to have this thread to talk about the strengths and weaknesses of turtle.

Being a veteran of this game, having played ever since it came out of closed beta, I know it's SUPPOSED to be a team based game, but given the current state of the game, it's not quite there, as it is heavily influenced by just one person's performance.

I really like Turtle so far, for the most part, I have more hours on him than I do Rhino and Skyhammer combined at the moment, moving on to my concerns.

At the MOMENT, Turtle is a very strong team player Merc, he works very well with Aura, Rhino, Bushwacker, or any other kind of stationary mercs. But playing him in quick play, without any friends or high levels on your team, he can be very weak.

So basically what I guess I'm saying is as a loner he can be very weak, but working as a team he can be quite strong, which right now is very concerning, because like I said this game at the MOMENT isn't very team based, and most to ALL mercs are good on their own but have synergy with other mercs, I feel like turtle just has the synergy and by himself can't work that well.

To be honest I feel like he's just missing SOMETHING, I have no clue what it is, but it just feels that way.

Discuss

EDIT: Alright, so having this post up for roughly a day, I've gotten quite a bit of responses, and reading them, in ascending order (i guess, i read them once over) of improvements, changed to bring to Turtle.
#1 (and this was suggested in, essentially EVERY post) Increase the EXP gained for turtle, as his shield does not provide enough EXP, and combat alone just seems like a stretch for EXP.
#2 A 2nd ability, one suggested was Small ammo packs, like sparks health pack, but for ammo (personally i find this to be a REALLY good Idea, since i find most of my time as turtle standing on ammo stations)
#4 Added HP, roughly 10 or so, so he's more viable in combat.
#5 (Just putting this in just cause) suggested he be a medic instead of an engineer, (more fits his merc)

Post edited by SatanicUnicorn on

Comments

• neonlichtsneonlichts Posts: 430

he's just missing something

Another 10HP probably?

yes, I did read your post and more HP will definitely make him more potent as a loner, and that's not what we want

• STARRYSOCKSTARRYSOCK Posts: 898

He needs a second ability. Frankly, I think he'd be better as a medic than an engineer, it just seems to fit him better.

But he needs a second ability, even just something minor. As it is, too many things counter his shield, so it's not really viable for a sole ability, especially when the XP gained from it is stupidly low.

• hawkeyeguy99hawkeyeguy99 Posts: 578

I was thinking of giving him small ammo packs for sustained cover fire from behind the shield. He could be the Sparks medpac of ammo suppliers. Like his ammo packs only give 1 clip but he has like 5 of them

Too glam to give a damn.
    In game as Seebetterfromadistance.

• JonBongNoJoviJonBongNoJovi Posts: 159

As said he's fine except for xp gained , if shield's health is 500hp a 1:1 ratio would give 500 xp per shield taken down with just concentrated gunfire , this is unless it's destroyed early via shot on placement or explosives /phantom etc . A 2:1 would make it 250xp which given the short cool-down the shield has sounds more balanced.

• STARRYSOCKSTARRYSOCK Posts: 898

@JonBongNoJovi said:
    As said he's fine except for xp gained , if shield's health is 500hp a 1:1 ratio would give 500 xp per shield taken down with just concentrated gunfire , this is unless it's destroyed early via shot on placement or explosives /phantom etc . A 2:1 would make it 250xp which given the short cool-down the shield has sounds more balanced.

Tbh I don't think he should get XP for certain situations. As it is, the most XP a shield usually gets is from when someone walks behind it and shoots it, which seems a bit silly. I don't think you should be rewarded XP when it's destroyed by an airstrike or shot in the weakspot

• GatoCommodoreGatoCommodore Posts: 3,156

NO SMG-9 WITH SPARES AUGMENT @stayfreshshoe ADD THIS WE WANT OUR PSEUDO MK46!

Merchant Of Mirrors                                                                  
  • @hawkeyeguy99 said:
    I was thinking of giving him small ammo packs for sustained cover fire from behind the shield. He could be the Sparks medpac of ammo suppliers. Like his ammo packs only give 1 clip but he has like 5 of them

I love this idea. Like, a lot.

• @Bestfinlandball said:

@hawkeyeguy99 said:

Same, I find that I run out of ammo running the SMG-9 a LOT, most the time playing turtle is sitting on ammo stations like i said.
    idk if this happens with the kek and hochfire either

• @SatanicUnicorn said:

@Bestfinlandball said:

@hawkeyeguy99 said:

Same, I find that I run out of ammo running the SMG-9 a LOT, most the time playing turtle is sitting on ammo stations like i said.
    idk if this happens with the kek and hochfire either

From my experience the hochfir takes a lot of ammo, but the KEK card i use has spares so i don't need ammoboxes or stations that much

• SorotiaSorotia Posts: 1,161

I have two problems with him, his primaries...and it feels like his shield cooldown is a little short.

I really think he should have been given Rifles...the M4, Timik, and the Dreiss perhaps.

• DefaultSettingsDefaultSettings Posts: 142
    edited July 17

I am constantly running out of ammo with Turtle. I use SMG-9 only. Small amo packs, like the ones dropped with the looter augment (I think they give half a mag) would be a great perk without beeing to powerfull.
    Or add spares but then my Obsidian is useless :( So add spares instead of Guardian Angel.
    Please.

• SzakalotSzakalot Posts: 3,157

i think turtle cooldown is fine. yes its easy to always have a shield available, but its not trivial to put another one down, when in a middle of a fight. the setup is slow and allows to either take the generator down or bypass the shield completely.

it might be the case that on 8v8 pubs, two turtles on defense will very effectively lock down a specific choke, but this is already the case with 2 auras. and 8v8 tends to be spammy enough for it not to matter too much.

in 5v5 turtle will likely have selected maps/stages where the shield is immensely powerful, but this is balanced by lack of utility when fighting 'on the move' compared to e.g. fletcher

now we just need some type of buff for bushwhacker, more hp for turret, decrease falloff or cooldown

First!

48px-First_Blood.png?version=ee44701eadae9f5eb7db0d17c0edc6c9