Planned Forum Maintenance - 24th May 2018

We will be doing maintenance on 24th May 2018. The forums will be read-only until the maintenance is finished.

Ranked Matchmaking is Beyond Broken

I just played the most unbalanced game of DB I have ever played.... in ranked of all places where supposedly we are matched by skill. I'm currently sitting at Silver Specialist rank and have played decent matches with occasionally getting matched with complete idiots who don't know what they're doing in-game. At least they are usually handy in a firefight, even if they have no idea what an EV is. But this evening I encountered something so incredibly frustrating I have to ask how the @$!# this even happened. All the names have been scribbled out to avoid "naming and shaming".

Here's the end of the match:
http://imgur.com/2dZE5Q7

Here's mid match:
http://imgur.com/kywbq5v

And here's my "team" of supposedly balanced and ranked players:
http://imgur.com/wGpoX2I
http://imgur.com/mAz5opJ
http://imgur.com/aPIS4NX
http://imgur.com/DBz7Ae5

And here's our enemy team:
http://imgur.com/E6vSzbE
http://imgur.com/viRb8ed
http://imgur.com/QEuZntK
http://imgur.com/lsfwz2G
http://imgur.com/u7JLv66
They ranged from silver recruit to silver officer in rank.

Only TWO of my team members were even ranked! What the actual @$!#? How in the world does this happen? I solo qued so it's not like I got paired against a 5 man team. I just have no clue how this could possibly be considered "balanced" in any way, shape, or form. Heck, it shouldn't even be counted as a legitimate match. 3 of my 4 team members were all running default load outs of either Aura, Sky hammer, Thunder, or Proxy (all of which are free right now btw).

Can someone please explain to me how this happened? If this is supposed to be a fore runner to CMM count me out. I'll be long gone before that happens.

Too glam to give a damn.
In game as Seebetterfromadistance.

«1

Comments

  • GatoCommodoreGatoCommodore Posts: 4,388
    we just got an injection of new players these couple of weeks

    at least if they tried out ranked match, they will get used to it more than filthy pubber like me

    people trying out new stuff is pretty common
    Hammock - Oh the Bliss (Reinterpretation) | Far Cry 5
                                                                    
  • GatoCommodoreGatoCommodore Posts: 4,388
    K1X455 wrote: »
    Would you believe that I played with a team that was winning in 6 minutes in underground, 1 of them accidentally invoked a "surrender" and 2 of them voted yes, with less than 2 seconds to detonate the bomb.

    How much rage can you dish out in that situation?

    im currently not playing ranked for next few weeks, or even ever again since people will just vote surrender when they cant push or when they cant defend

    im too sad to play on ranked again
    Hammock - Oh the Bliss (Reinterpretation) | Far Cry 5
                                                                    
  • n-xn-x Posts: 795
    For me the main problem is, that you hardly have a chance to get out of the silver area if you are not way above the average skill level. So you basically have to be able to carry teams until you cant be matched against absolute beginners anymore.

    I was away for two weeks and all my friends still have the rank they had when I left or even a lower one. This wouldnt be a problem if after over 200 games played they wouldnt still be matched against unranked players who basically just reached level 7 and decided to try to get one of those ranked skins. The silver area is just a god damn lottery. Queue and get 1 or two experienced players in your team, chances are you are going to win. Queue and get only level 7-10 in your team, hello demotion.

    As nice as it is to have so many new players trying out ranked due to the skin rewards, but it draws players to ranked who are not interested in playing competitive, but just dont want to miss out on this "event" to get loadout cards.

    I think the mistake made this season is to give out participation rewards in a competitive scenario and for queue as solo and duo. I really had hoped prior to season two that you only get rewards when you queue as a lobby of 5 and according to your performance or at least have a hugely increased chance for the reward/better reward if you do good as a lobby of 5.

    This way players wanting rewards would be forced to play as teams and you would play against teams with a homogenous skill level and not teams that theoratically can have members from low bronze to mid gold.
  • Placement matches need to be in there own group not silver as a base , silver rank bracket is totally broken i agree , 2 games today a quitter in each , its not fun at all to try and advance because you will always be @$!# over .
  • @watsyurdeal except for the fact that this situation could have and should have been avoided. I'm not mad that I was paired with newbies, I'm mad that all three of the unranked players were placed on ONE team. How is that remotely balanced or fair? That's obvious team stacking towards one side. I'm all for encouraging others and helping others getting better by coordinating as a team, but the teams should at least be in the realm of being balanced to begin with.

    If DB is going to count this as a competitive mode, the matchmaking should be looked at to avoid situations like this. If you were a betting man, which team would you bet on? Because I bet no one would even bet on my team in their right mind. It just shouldn't be considered a "ranked/competitive" mode if some matches are inherently one-sided.

    Too glam to give a damn.
    In game as Seebetterfromadistance.

  • watsyurdealwatsyurdeal Posts: 4,813
    @watsyurdeal except for the fact that this situation could have and should have been avoided. I'm not mad that I was paired with newbies, I'm mad that all three of the unranked players were placed on ONE team. How is that remotely balanced or fair? That's obvious team stacking towards one side. I'm all for encouraging others and helping others getting better by coordinating as a team, but the teams should at least be in the realm of being balanced to begin with.

    If DB is going to count this as a competitive mode, the matchmaking should be looked at to avoid situations like this. If you were a betting man, which team would you bet on? Because I bet no one would even bet on my team in their right mind. It just shouldn't be considered a "ranked/competitive" mode if some matches are inherently one-sided.

    Again, what exactly do you expect with such a small community? Those were likely all that were available for matchmaking.
    So hey, I have a small guide here you may like, go ahead, read it, you know you want to.


    ダーティーボムは非常に良いですが、あなたは非常に悪いです
  • @watsyurdeal except for the fact that this situation could have and should have been avoided. I'm not mad that I was paired with newbies, I'm mad that all three of the unranked players were placed on ONE team. How is that remotely balanced or fair? That's obvious team stacking towards one side. I'm all for encouraging others and helping others getting better by coordinating as a team, but the teams should at least be in the realm of being balanced to begin with.

    If DB is going to count this as a competitive mode, the matchmaking should be looked at to avoid situations like this. If you were a betting man, which team would you bet on? Because I bet no one would even bet on my team in their right mind. It just shouldn't be considered a "ranked/competitive" mode if some matches are inherently one-sided.

    Again, what exactly do you expect with such a small community? Those were likely all that were available for matchmaking.

    You're missing the point. I get that the community is small and we have to take what we can get. But why were all three unranked players placed on one team? Why were they not distributed? Why was one of them not placed on the other team? It doesn't make any sense to fill one team with players with hundreds of hours of experience and place the other team at a disadvantage and give them all the inexperienced players. That has nothing to do with a small player base, but a bad matchmaking system.

    Too glam to give a damn.
    In game as Seebetterfromadistance.

  • watsyurdealwatsyurdeal Posts: 4,813
    edited March 2017
    @watsyurdeal except for the fact that this situation could have and should have been avoided. I'm not mad that I was paired with newbies, I'm mad that all three of the unranked players were placed on ONE team. How is that remotely balanced or fair? That's obvious team stacking towards one side. I'm all for encouraging others and helping others getting better by coordinating as a team, but the teams should at least be in the realm of being balanced to begin with.

    If DB is going to count this as a competitive mode, the matchmaking should be looked at to avoid situations like this. If you were a betting man, which team would you bet on? Because I bet no one would even bet on my team in their right mind. It just shouldn't be considered a "ranked/competitive" mode if some matches are inherently one-sided.

    Again, what exactly do you expect with such a small community? Those were likely all that were available for matchmaking.

    You're missing the point. I get that the community is small and we have to take what we can get. But why were all three unranked players placed on one team? Why were they not distributed? Why was one of them not placed on the other team? It doesn't make any sense to fill one team with players with hundreds of hours of experience and place the other team at a disadvantage and give them all the inexperienced players. That has nothing to do with a small player base, but a bad matchmaking system.

    Look at your images, not a single player with a ranking, we're supposed to take what you say at face value.

    And even then, the system does not take just rank into account, but rather looks at one's stats and places them based on that. To be honest it really shouldn't matter, you should take the hand your dealt and do what you can. Not every match is going to go perfectly for you, and even a well balanced game can be an absolute stomp.
    So hey, I have a small guide here you may like, go ahead, read it, you know you want to.


    ダーティーボムは非常に良いですが、あなたは非常に悪いです
  • Cgz27Cgz27 Posts: 77
    Just wanna put this out there.

    You know if you consider that actual good players (who are supposed to be in higher ranked games) can lose games due to immature leavers who think its over if they lose only the first objective (out of 2 or 3) quickly or won't even acknowledge the possibility of their team winning the 2nd round.. Then..

    Don't you think its unfair to completely blame matchmaking?
    I'm not sure if leavers get their (mmr/internal ranking) changed after leaving but I'm sure that they skew the system regardless and make it impossible for us to fully realize whether the system is actually bad or not.

    For example, good players who lose in this case are then forced to win more games against weaker ranked opponents who then complain that the other team is too stacked.

    And then cycle f**in continues.

    (Just posting cus this one guy literally left our defense after losing a quick 1st obj bridge after saying in voice chat ("you guys suck im leaving"). We were then left with a 4v5 and we still all had positive scores (kd) in the end while the other team only had 2 ppl doing well (just ok). We were able to shoot evenly with the other team and it rly did leave a salty taste in my mouth cus i knew we could win but even then another one of my teammates was ticked off and started teamkilling us for fun while we were returnin the objective to the room lmao)
  • Cgz27Cgz27 Posts: 77
    To add, I checked the guy's steam profile afterwards and it said he was currently playing "Golf With Your Friends". ..

    This stuff occurs in many games as well not just DB.
    It worse for DB since we still have a smaller player base than other big competitive games.
    Matchmaking compares skill.
    It does not account for a baby's mentality.
  • I am just wondering why was every one placed in Silver ? I had 9 wins and 1 loss and I was placed silver (not even higher silver rank). My friend had 6 wins and 4 losses and was ranked exactly the same.
    Now, Ranked is a pain for me as Silver. I either can carry the game is opposition is not too strong or get completly destroyed.

    I'll give it a last try this week end, tryharding it and see if I can beat RNG, but yeah, it hurts :(
  • blonkblonk Posts: 417
    4. Really bad DM

    Just you wait next time I DM you're totally getting trapdoor'd into a pit of horny minotaurs
  • watsyurdealwatsyurdeal Posts: 4,813
    blonk wrote: »
    4. Really bad DM

    Just you wait next time I DM you're totally getting trapdoor'd into a pit of horny minotaurs

    b01.png
    So hey, I have a small guide here you may like, go ahead, read it, you know you want to.


    ダーティーボムは非常に良いですが、あなたは非常に悪いです
  • doxjqdoxjq Posts: 2,081
    edited March 2017
    STARRYSOCK wrote: »
    This is why I really wish ranked was based more on personal performance than how your team performs. Yes, I know the idea behind it is team communication, but no amount of communication will help a terrible team. As it is now, your current rank is largely based on how lucky you got in your team's composition.

    I'm not saying winning and losing shouldn't affect it, but I'd like to see this changed. Because until matchmaking is no longer an issue, having your team doom you is extremely annoying.

    Agreed.

    Had a game in the first week where I went something stupid like 108/24, and lost because it was a 4v5 game. One of our team mates quit in the first minute of the first half, and surprisingly it was actually a really close game.

    At the time I was gold officer, and I lost nearly 50% of my rank for that game because the enemies were all silver. Didn't really seem fair, since I had 3 times more kills than everyone in the game as well as triple the XP of everyone in the game too.

  • Mc1412013Mc1412013 Posts: 2,419
    5 v 2 (5 player side being my team) by the time half time hit only reason there was a 2nd half is because the vote surender is dissabled for the first 3 min. I hate loosing but dislike not earning the win just as mutch

    Hey look i finaly got a sig , and nothing to put here

  • AlphaUTAlphaUT Posts: 629
    How about fix @$!# multiple mercs like 3 thunders. What a joke.
  • AlphaUT wrote: »
    How about fix @$!# multiple mercs like 3 thunders. What a joke.

    Has this been addressed directly by devs? Seems to have been avoided in the weekly update videos.

    IMO

  • DawnlazyDawnlazy Posts: 1,157
    AlphaUT wrote: »
    How about fix @$!# multiple mercs like 3 thunders. What a joke.

    Has this been addressed directly by devs? Seems to have been avoided in the weekly update videos.

    How would you even solve it in a reasonable way though?
  • Dawnlazy wrote: »
    How would you even solve it in a reasonable way though?

    This was my unreasonable idea.

    More curious if devs have any thoughts or plans of their own as it is a rather hot topic.

    IMO

  • SnakekillerXSnakekillerX Posts: 847
    edited March 2017
    Dawnlazy wrote: »
    How would you even solve it in a reasonable way though?

    This was my unreasonable idea.

    More curious if devs have any thoughts or plans of their own as it is a rather hot topic.

    It isn't unreasonable for Ranked, but for Pub I think there should be no merc limit.
  • Whens_PhoenixWhens_Phoenix Posts: 54
    edited March 2017
    The matchmaking in this game can only be fixed if somehow the playerbase gets bigger. Pretty much every match will be decided by the initial dice rolling, as the matchmaking simply doesn't seem to have the necessary amount of players to assign fair games.

    What's obviously supposed to happen is that you play with people around your ranking but what mostly happens is that you get 1 player who's above the rest, 3 in the middle and 1 guy who's gonna be busy sitting in the corner sniffing glue. And as this game stresses teamplay, the excellent player will probably not be able to perform at their best as well.

    The worst cases in my opinion happen when you get the 1-3-1 situation and the enemy team is across the board even. It dosen't matter at all how amazing that 1 guy might be, it's simply not possible to compensate for an entire team [Which is actually good balancing and game design on the other hand so I'm glad it dosen't happen].
    Post edited by Whens_Phoenix on
  • n-xn-x Posts: 795
    edited March 2017
    From the technical aspect aside. It really also comes down to the attitude of the players. People give up too fast.

    If the running straight to the EV on chapel with Proxy doesnt work, they start to dick around or surrender, because trying something new is way too hard.

    I have the feeling that a lot of people only feel it is a good match, when they easily win. It is really difficult to get a match that is balanced all the way. First of all, the match making itself is problematic and secondly, if you are lucky enough to get a balanced match, people are not willing to focus.

    And last but not least, SD didnt think season 2 through in the slightest. Lets just throw in some rewards and this is our great plan. That the rewards will be just a magnet for clueless players, thats something they overlooked. Silver ranks are a mess because almost everybody lands there. Why somebody who went through his placement matches 10-0 can still be matched against someone who came out with 0-10 is mind blowing to me.
    Furthermore, season 1 was such a failure and still DBN was able to get a balanced and fun format out of DB. By banning Thunder and disallowing the same merc twice per team. This is a format that was tested countless hours for months. And instead of learning from the huge pool of knowledge DBN offers, SD just released ranked as a glorified version of casual.

  • NailNail Wpg, CanadaPosts: 3,534
    actually, I believe ranked 2 was released as a test, just like ranked 1, not to do with final release and yes, people have crappy imavictim attitudes
    moop
  • doxjqdoxjq Posts: 2,081
    n-x wrote: »
    I have the feeling that a lot of people only feel it is a good match, when they easily win.

    This^

    Pretty much. I've stated this so many times. It frustrates me because a lot of the people who complain about "balance" actually don't care about balance at all, they just care about losing. Put them on the winning team where they are totally stomping the enemy into the ground in their own spawn for 15 minutes, and it's apparently no problem at all, and is just a "gg guys" ..

    I know not everyone is like that, don't get me wrong, but there are plenty of players around that are like this, and it does my ****ing head in.
  • GatoCommodoreGatoCommodore Posts: 4,388
    Professional victim is a job nowadays tho.
    Hammock - Oh the Bliss (Reinterpretation) | Far Cry 5
                                                                    
This discussion has been closed.