[Guide] Customizing Most In-Game Text

KUST__LunarTMKUST__LunarTM Posts: 505
edited May 2016 in Game Guides
Post edited by KUST__LunarTM on

Comments

• KUST__LunarTMKUST__LunarTM Posts: 505
    edited May 2016
    Added some more formatting for the titles and a handful of text in the body and also made the Table of Contents interactive so you can quickly jump to any part of the guide.
  • DiositoDiosito Posts: 293
    edited May 2016
    Awesome work, thanks.
    You deserve a badge or something :p

Abbadon
    Abaddon
  • DexterGrifDexterGrif Posts: 148
    God, this... this... I have no words for this! This is the greatest guide ever!
  • blufflordblufflord Posts: 578
    edited June 2016
    hey there, need some help. I downloaded notepad 2 and extracted it. but when i went to open gameplay.int it the red numbered lines dont come up.
    http://imgur.com/ghuqj6a

will i just have to read through eveything to find the lines i need?

Also you changed vassilis text in the barracks to that, how do i find the file which contains his text?
    Post edited by blufflord on
    edited June 2016
    @BufflordAFK I'm here to help!

It's possible that you may have gotten a faulty or older copy of Notepad2, and it's really my fault for not posting the link to its official download page. I've put it in the guide now and I'll put it here for you as well: http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

If you still don't see the red line numbers when you download from the official site, try editing them youself. While Notepad2 is open, Press Ctrl+F12 to open up the Customize Schemes menu.
    WtH5eF4.png

Click the Default Text option to open up sub-options, much like a folder.
    Click the Margins and Line Numbers sub-option.
    From here, you can change the line number's size and colour. You change the colour by pressing the Fore... button and you can change the size by using the Font... button, but I prefer to just type in the size manually into the text bar.
    t8UeT1R.png

Hopefully that should solve your problem :)
    Post edited by KUST__LunarTM on
    @KUST__LunarTM
    Yes! thank you so much!
    Would it be too much to ask you how u edited vassili's barrack's text? to the "ill lay at the bottom of the table" thing.
    edited June 2016
    @BufflordAFK Sorry, I forgot about that part! In ShooterGame.int, Line 175 is where the character quotes are, but each character is listed with the code name. To find which character the code name refers to, look at Line 153 and below.
    man you are awesome!
  • XyfurionXyfurion Posts: 498
    edited June 2016
    @KUST__LunarTM Let's bring your points up shall we? :smile:

Awesome guide though. I will be using this. :smiley:
    Quick Question: If I change quick chat lines, does it change what other people see in chat?

Looking to change your HUD? Look no more! Use HUDEdit! Failing at ranked? Learn Call-outs!
  • @Xyfurion No, it doesn't. These files are your localization files, so they only change what is seen client-side for you only. If you wanted other people to see the same things as you, you would have to have them make the same changes to their localization files as well.
  • EquanimityEquanimity Posts: 172
    Spent a few hours editing all these files before the patch and they were deleted (even as read only). Had to redo it all last night and this time I've got some backups saved. The memes will be had at all costs.
    edited June 2016
    Equanimity wrote: »
    Spent a few hours editing all these files before the patch and they were deleted (even as read only). Had to redo it all last night and this time I've got some backups saved. The memes will be had at all costs.

Thank you for the info. I've updated Section 3's Note to reflect this.
  • OwynTylerOwynTyler Posts: 333
    Thx for the guide, I used to to change ability names to shorter ones: http://pastebin.com/RFXTfiB4

worked out great, bumping to let people know that this is still actual and working

* I couldn't think of anything else of the text to change, maybe other people have some ideas
    @Owyn I'm surprised you found this guide. I thought it had been lost to time, especially considering the changes made here will generally be temporary until a game patch.
  • OwynTylerOwynTyler Posts: 333
    @Owyn I'm surprised you found this guide. I thought it had been lost to time, especially considering the changes made here will generally be temporary until a game patch.

The guide was on the 1st page of the forum lol, not hard to find.

Patches aren't that frequent and copy-paste changed values back takes less than a minute
    @Shinywindow @Owyn I would be careful with copy pasting though. Don't try to copy and paste the entire document or try to paste to specific lines. I'd recommend making a separate document where you list the original text and then the modified text next to it so that should a patch go through, you can use the find and replace function to quickly make changes to the file as you deem necessary.

I would look out for the release of Dockyard and Turtle, as those will undoubtedly change most of the game files and you will have to reapply them.

Just a heads up.